We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Can anyone advice where I can get a good car navigation system, e.g. Garmin Quest, at a good price? Also, do I need to subscribe to any service to get the maps? Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
300 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Hi CynTeow,

We have just booked our hire car with Yes car hire and the voucher we got is for Alamo. On checking their website it shows that Alamo now has GPS for rent for $9.99 per day.

It is a cheaper option than Avis or Hertz. Just a thought.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Thanks, Roxy2. About Yescarhire.com, will they charge upfront for booking? What abt cancellation and changes (I read that their min charge for cancellation is 50%)? It's definitely cheaper than Hertz, just that I am not sure about their policy.

Australia
Level Contributor
300 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Yes thats right, 50%.

Our sepatate trip insurance will cover that though.

We looked on the Alamo site and the quote I got was something like US$1800 and that was without gold insurance.

Yes care hire works out to US$853?????????

Wow, I have not looked at that conversion before!

Big difference,

Keep reserching, and good luck

Australia
Level Contributor
300 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Yes, upront payment also.

London
Level Contributor
317 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

We have won a bid with Avis for a jeep through priceline for $20 dollars per day, without insurance for 16 days. We get our worldwide annual insurance through insurance4carhire.com. Avis has a car navigation system for $15 dollars per day which would have to be paid seperately.

However it seems some website sells the in car navigation system separately for around $250+, which we are looking at getting and we can use it everytime we are in the states.

Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

Hi Jessica,

Do you know if $250 is just the gps?

What I mean is do you need to attach it to a palm pilot or lap top to get a screen?

Also, does that price include maps?

Sounds like a good price if it icludes it all!

London
Level Contributor
317 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

You have to attach it to a Palmtop. Try this site

globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/alk_copilot_l…

London
Level Contributor
317 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy car GPS navigator in LA?

On further investigation, we have now decided to buy the Tom Tom Go 300 Navigator. This cost £340 in UK, seems better than the Garmin. Easy to set up, take it out of the box, switch on and off you go. You can carry it from car to car, or even walking and it comes with maps of UK and Europe. The maps for the united states are on a tiny disc costs £100 extra. This website below helps to understand nagivation better. Good luck

Lordpercy.com feels its better to buy the 300 rather than the 500 or 700 as it is easier to use.

lordpercy.com/gps_navigation_system_reviews.…