We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX airport

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
LAX airport

Im looking at arriving in internationally at 10.50am i then need to catch a 1.20pm flight to New York. Is this enought time to clear customs- how long does this usually take? When do you have to check in for a domestic flight with AA?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX airport

Customs can be time consuming at any US airport. Sometimes it's quick, other times an hour or so in my experience. I would check on on the web for the AA flight 24 hours in advance of the flight. Good luck and have a wonderful visit.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,769 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX airport

You need to present yourself at Terminal 4 for your onward flight at 12:20. That means de-planing, and passing immigration, customs and baggage claim within 90 minutes. It's MOST LIKELY that you will make it but if, for example, your flight is 30 minutes late or there are unusually long lines at any of these processing points, it might be cutting it close.

The walk from Tom Bradley International Terminal to Terminal #4 is a short one (1 to 2 minutes walk as the terminals are next to one another. When you exit TB, turn right and the first terminal you'll see is AA's Terminal 4).

If you do arrive at T4 later than 12:20, tell a uniformed employee that you are late for your flight and they will help you to make it through faster. Will your luggage be checked through to AA or do you have to carry it yourself?

Ordinarily, it would be checked through, especially if you are arriving on a partner airline like Qantas. If you're luggage is automatically checked through to AA, then it's not as important to arrive at T4 by 12:20 since you have only one stop to make (at security, assuming you already have your boarding pass). If, instead, you have to check your bags at AA, that can be time-consuming.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX airport

hi thanks for your comments. Reply to the last one: Thank you very much for letting me know that AA terminal is right next door as i had no idea if it would take me ages to find it/how much time to allow. I dont think my bags would be checked through as i would probably be booking the flights seperately online and wouldnt i need to collect them to get through customs? think theres another flight that goes at 1.40pm so that would give me an extra 20min!

ohh this is so hard.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX airport

sorry just checked again and that 1.40 flight is United. How far is that from where i would come out of customs with qantas?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX airport

Lol sorry, ive just put in Chc-New York to see what the price would be and thats not bad at all actually. its got AA on all 3 flights but i know they codeshare with Qantas so would that be landing at same terminal as above? again i am not sure if i booked it that way if it would make things quicker with checkin process..

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX airport

From where is the international flight, from the U.K.it will be faster than a flight from Mexico.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX airport

The United flight could depart from Terminals 6, 7, or 8. United is the largest carrier at LAX, so lots of gates. You will need to check in at Terminal 7. It is a longish walk, but you can also take the bus that goes around the loop every 15 minutes or so.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX airport

ill be coming from Auckland new zealand. hmm maybe itll be wasier to go for AA since i might spend 20mins getting to uniteds terminal anyway.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX airport

Ok update: An Air NZ special came out today which was a grand less than what i was going to pay, so have booked it. Looking at lax airport website it arrives 12.30pm Terminal 2 and i now need to book a flight to NY. The closest one i can get leaves at 3pm - American airlines whch is terminal 4. How long would it take to walk between? Do i walk thru a carpark?? are there good signs and people to ask along the way if i get lost!

10. Re: LAX airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 23, 2009