We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland - Time Management

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Disneyland - Time Management

Seeking some advice please from some of you veteran Disneyland goers.

We are a family of 4 including 2 boys 11 and 9.

We will be visiting Anaheim from 23SEP-30SEP and during that time we have a 4day Disneyland hopper pass and a 1 day Universal Studios entry.

In reality, we only have 6 full days there so the 5 days will be taken up with theme parks, with the spare day doing the other Los Angeles touristy things.

Ok, my question is in what order should we do things? How should we break up the itinerary up ? Should we be giving 2 days each to the Disneyland parks or 1 and 3. I guess there are maps to ensure you don't miss anything ??

Thanks for your comments

A Day in LA Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
We Love LA Tour
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bikes And Hikes LA
Gear Rentals, City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
LA Insider Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Movie & TV Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland - Time Management

Wow, I have the same age family and we visited earlier this summer to both attractions. What I can say is that both are worthwhile but Disney is fantastic. - how many days /hrs. you want to spend there I am sure you will get a feel for yourself after the 1st day being there. We actually spent 1 day at each park and were satisfied although Disney I would rate a better attraction (although Universal is special too) a 2nd Disney day for us would have worked well too. We visited Knott's park too also worthwhile but some really big and fast rollercoasters that may scare you so that you don't want to ride them.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland - Time Management

HI Suit,

Even though we live in LA, I'd made reservations for 2 nights to stay at the Disneyland hotel in November for the weekend. We just wanted to enjoy the Disney ambiance and atmosphere esp since it's their 50th Anniversary. So, we are doing Disney the whole 2 days. For us, I know we're planning to do one park each, Disneyland the 1st day and Disney's California Adventure the 2nd day. I'm assuming the park hopper is unlimited access to both Disneyland and CA Adventure for the 4 days, so you can hop around also between the parks if you want. For us, we're giving 1 day each for each park(even though we've been to both parks before). But if you haven't been there before, get a feel for them and go to each park, 1 day Disneyland and then one day CA Adventure, and then go from there where you want to spend the rest of your days. If you have a hopper, I'm thinking you can just go from one park to the next on the same day. Have fun!

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland - Time Management

In my opinion, I'd do 3 days in DL and one in CA (California Adventure) and do Universal studios and anything else before Disney because they will pale in comparison if you do them after Disney.

For your boys ages, they'll probably be enamored with Tom Sawyer Island (hope that's the right name for the island in the middle of Rivers of America in DL), so take the opportunity to rest while they run around and climb and explore. We've never seemed to have enough time there and I always drag the kids away.

Another cool thing to do is have the Mickey pancakes for breakfast at one of the outdoor seating restaurants in New Orleans Square (DL) first thing in the morning. Great views and time to plan your day. (Hop on the train at the park entrance and get off at New Orleans square. )

There's also specific websites with just Disney forums where you can read up, and the official Disney site is full of info too. Check the attraction closures, park hours, and parade/show times before you go. Here's one I have bookmarked, but there are many more good ones: mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php…

Most of all have fun!

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland - Time Management

Thanks all for your invaluable info.

Dogbreath, I presume you are from Perth. When did you travel to Disneyland ?

Bellevue, WA
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland - Time Management

Hi Suit!

Nope, I'm from Washington state in the far upper left hand corner of the US. We get to Disneyland once or twice a year. We were there in the fall last year, and hit Disneyworld (in Florida this spring). We're heading back to California in October! Yea!

I have to say, in my opinion, none of the other parks can hold a candle to Disney parks. We don't even bother with Knotts or Universal anymore. (now Universal in Florida is another story. Definitely go there!) But then we aren't looking for big thrill rides, but more of the charm and ambience that Disney offers. The San Diego zoo is OK in if your kids are into animals. Maybe we have some here that you guys haven't ever seen :-) ?

Last word... relax and don't plan to hard. I'm from the school of 'over-planning' and we never seem to follow the plans. You'd think I'd learn! Have fun.

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland - Time Management

Thanks for the advice Dogbreath - interesting "user name".

Ironically, there is a Bellevue in Western Australia, hence the question.

We are not trying to plan too hard. Just ensuring we don't come 12,000 miles and miss anything important.

Cheers