We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

We are down to renting from a car from either Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au. Has anyone rented from either of them recently? We would love some feedback to see which one is preferred.

We are looking at renting a standard size SUV (Trailblazer or similar) as we are 2A & 2C and 4 large suitcases. We need to be able to secure a rate that is inclusive of all insurances (Collision Damage Waiver, Supplementary Liability Ins) as we are from Australia and our credit cards do not cover car rentals outside of Oz.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

check rates on nationalcar.com and avis.com, just plug in that you are Austrailian. Confirmation will be changeable or you can cancel if you find a better price. Do not book anything pre-paid unless you are traveling soon.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,242 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

Look at YesCarHire.com

They use major U.S. car hire comanies and their quotes include the insurance.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

YesCarHire looks like a good site. Unfortunately it is a UK site and the AUD is weaker against the UK pound than the USD!

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

National is coming in at $300 for the week for a Trailblazer, all insurances included, how does that compare to the others you're checking? Do they require pre-payment with no cancellation possibility?

That's $460 Australian dollars, yikes your dollar really IS the pits!

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

And don't forget to add the $30 off coupon on the national website under "Special offers."

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

Just had a look at National and it is really quite competitive at $670. Unfortunately the current $30 E-voucher is only valid through 31 March. We need to pick up the car on 15th April.

Are the $30 vouchers always on offer?

Thanks for the suggestion. National is definately the most competitive to date. Traveljigsaw is offering AUD$700 for the trailblazer.

I will do a separate post to find out recent feedback of hiring from LAX with National.

thanks again for the advice.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

I rent out of LAX twice a year and the key is to understand that rates change all the time and you need to keep checking as your trip approaches. I'm going to LA tomorrow and in the past 2 months I've made and cancelled 4 reservations (3 at the same company) as rates fell! You can keep making reservations under the same name and cancelling your old reservation.

Also, be prepared for some sticker shock when you add in taxes and concession fees. In my experience, it increases the rate by about 30% and it does not matter who you rent from. These fees will be quoted on the reservation so they should not be a surprise, just make sure to take notice.

The only way I know to avoid some of these fees is to rent from a non-airport location, but then you have to figure out a way to get there from the airport, not to mention back to the airport when you drop it off.

Also, consider renting a van instead of a large SUV as they are generally cheaper. The 4 large suitcases could be a problem, though, but you should be able to take out or put down the 3rd row in a van (but then your kids will have to sit in the same row where they can argue with each other)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

Being a non-US resident, when you select your country of residence it automatically includes all taxes, airport fees, recovery fees, etc. It sure does add quite a bit to the rental. Add to that insurances for us foreigners and car hire ends up costing around $80 per day. I guess that doesn't shock us so much as in Oz for the same size car you would probably pay that much anyway!

Are there any other hidden charges that they may charge us for when we collect the vehicle?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

For US residents, at least, there are no hidden charges when renting from the rental company. It's all in the reservation, every penney

California
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire - Expedia.com.au or Traveljigsaw.com.au

There are charges for car seats, additional drivers, insurances. They are not included in the quoted rates though you can see the fees and add them if you like. For some foreigners, all this is included in the quoted rates and you have to read the confirmation carefully.

Rates do change a lot but I don't think so much for these non-citizen deals. They tend to stay steady all year. And yes, the "dollars off" coupon should extend every month. If you book now, however, you can always modify the reservation later by adding a coupon that comes available.