We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

We will come in September for the 3rd time to LA, but will stay for the 1st time in downtwon, namely at the Westin Bonaventure.

I have recently read some articles and statements about the "Skid row" in downtwon LA and therefore I would like to know, where this area exactly is (bordered by which streets?) and how far it is away from our hotel?

Is the area around the Bonaventure all in all a safe area to stay?

Thanks in advance!

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,495 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

Skid Row, per se, is quite a distance from your hotel. The Bonaventure is on Figeuroa; Skid Row is east of Broadway and several blocks south. In short, it's far away.

That said, keep in mind that downtown Los Angeles pretty much shuts down after 6 pm. Like many downtown areas, it is a "business center" for Los Angeles, but most everyone lives somewhere else. The Bonaventure in particular is located in a somewhat unpopulated area of downtown. Adjacent to it is a municipal building with city government offices in it. The 110 freeway borders the west side of the hotel (across which is an area that while, not unsafe, is just pretty uninteresting and, again, unpopulated.

The Music Center, Catholic Archdiocese, Disney Theatre is to the east of the hotel a few blocks but it's up a pretty steep road, and there's no 'straight route' to these things -- you'd have to walk to one side, up a hill and then over.

Other than the Music Center, and the Main Library, there's not much to walk to and, most of it shuts down early, as I said. If you have a car, there's no problem coming to and leaving the hotel. If not, you'll need a taxi in the evening to take you places.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
23 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

Skid Row is typically east of Spring St in Downtown LA. You'll be staying in a safe part of Downtown LA. (5th St near Figueroa/Flower) Nearby is the Arco Plaza twin towers, and catty-corner is the Central Library, and the Bunker Hill Steps (LA's answer to Rome's Spanish Steps)

It does get quiet on weeknights after all the commuters have

gone home (7 pm) though. Weekends during the daytime are livelier than they have been in the past though.

A lot of old office buildings in Downtown LA have been changed into apartments or condos, so you'll see more people walking around. It's not Manhattan yet though.

Try walking down to 7th/Flower for a nice cluster of restaurants and shops. Or take the DASH shuttle around Downtown.

Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned in this post
ARCO Plaza
ARCO Plaza
1 Review
Los Angeles, CA
Bunker Hill Steps
Bunker Hill Steps
15 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,095 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

Yes, the area is perfectly safe. I live downtown at Broadway & 9th and move about at all hours without concern. Yes, you'll want to avoid Skid Row because of the large homeless population. This is easy to do. Fifth & Main and heading east are the epicenter. It is very obvious.

The area around the Bonaventure is pretty quiet in the evenings. (I also think the architecture is confusing.) Make sure you check out the Central Library at Fifth & Flower. There's also a great restaurant there (can't remember the name). I'd avoid the restaurant Ciudad. Very bad expensive food. If you're looking for some nightlife, I'd recommend The Mayan.

To make the most of your trip, do as much planning as you can. There is much to see and do. However, downtown L.A. is like the city: very spreadout. You should also get to know the subway system.

Enjoy your trip!

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

Thanks a lot for your answers. I think it's very easy now to avoid getting around in Skid row.

We will have a rental car, so we will definitely take the chance to explore all interesting and lively parts of LA!

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

"I'd avoid the restaurant Ciudad. Very bad expensive food."

I think Cuidad has great food. I'd recommend going if you want to try good "Pan-Latin" cuisine:

Ciudad

Union Bank Plaza, 445 South Figueroa Street (at 5th Street)

telephone: (213) 486-5171

http://www.ciudad-la.com/

Their web site has a menu if you want to look it over.

The 2004 Zagat Guide gives the food a 22 out of 30, and the food cost (meal, one drink, and tip) is $35.00 per person.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

Seriously. You must have had one bad experience at Ciudad. I've gone about 10 times and loved it each time. Excellent food. Killer Mojitos. I highly recommend it.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Bonaventure - Skid Row

The Water Grill, downtown, is also very good for a nice seafood dinner.