We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best view of LA skyline?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best view of LA skyline?

whats a good place for a nice view of LA? a good sunset wouldn't hurt either.

I've driven up the hills between Mulholland and W Sunset a couple times (guaranteed nausea!), but the roads I took were so filled with houses that it was hard to stop and get a good look. maybe somewhere higher on Mulholland..?

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,761 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

There are "scenic overlook" areas on Mulholland, west of Laurel Canyon Bl. From the Hollywood/West Hollywood area, take Crescent Hts Bl north (it becomes Laurel Canyon Bl). At the top of the hill is Mulholland Drive, turn left. After doing so, you'll see a 'scenic overlook parking area' on your left which will have a view of central L.A. Farther on, there will be one on your right which will have views of the San Fernando Valley.

Easy places to look at the views are:

1. http://www.barnsdallartpark.com/

One of the best-kept secrets in L.A., access the park from Hollywood Bl, just west of Vermont Av in the Los Feliz neighborhood of L.A. (just east of the Hollywood neighborhood).

2. Drive up to Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park using the Vermont Av entrance -- go north on Vermont from Los Feliz Bl. Once at the Observatory, climb the stairs to the roof of the Observatory for the best views. You can also take the hiking trail that starts in the parking area for an even better view.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

perfect, will check these out. thanks!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

I'm not clear what you are looking for? You seem to be looking for a view of Los Angeles from the Hollywood Hills. Anywhere along Mulholland from the 101 to the 405 has excellent views.

When I read the title of your query, I assumed you meant of the downtown skyline. If you're interested, the downtown skyline is best viewed from Vista Hermosa Park just west of downtown on First Street.

There are also great views of L.A. from the Getty Center. Of course, the site and the architecture are impressive.

Another good, though odd, location is the roof of the parking structure of The Grove adjacent to the Farmer's Market. The location is very central with the Hollywood Hills to the north, downtown to the east, the city sprawling south and the Pacific far off to the west.

You can't do it right now, but when the hotel opens up at L.A. Live, the views there will be excellent. I've had some friends who took some great pictures from the top of the new hotel.

blogdowntown.com/2008/…3877-a-clear-day-in-la

HTH

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

It is fun to go to Dodger Stadium to the Top of The Park gift shop on the Top Deck level. From the Top Deck you have a very panoramic view of the Downtown skyline and a bit to the east and west. You can also look at the historic stadium. Tell the guard at the parking lot enterance you are going to the Top of the Park Gift shop and he or she will guide you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

HitchKennedy: I was initially referring to a view from the hills, but a good view of downtown is certainly something I will check out. I'm a photographer, so thats why I'm asking. thanks for the tips!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

An almost unequaled view of the skyline (from within the skyline) can be had from the rooftop bar at the Standard Hotel in downtown (corner of 6th and Flower).

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,922 posts
6,059 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

Drive the road up to Mt. Wilson and get a commanding view of the San Gabriel Valley:

http://www.mtwilson.edu/vis/index.php

Another good view is to go to The Getty. This is a good view:

http://www.getty.edu/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

Good evening

I would suggest to go to the New Getty museum

(above the 405 freeway) especially right after a winter storm ( as we are having for the moment) snow on the mountains and clear air to give you a panorama from the hills to parlos verdes, Catalina etc,..

I would also suggest to consider a Helicopter toutr of loS Angeles. Not cheap for sure but the view is priceless....

http://www.toflyla.com/

meherio

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,675 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

I still think the very best views are looking East towards the city and the snow capped mountains behind, especially this time of year.

I have found the best views are from some of the USC campus buildings and some of the surrounding parking structures.

For some awesome sunset pictures you may want to try the Griffith Observatory area or, if you want to stay out of the hills, go to the Pacific Palisades.

10. Re: Best view of LA skyline?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 18, 2009