We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro system

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coleraine, Northern...
2 posts
Save Topic
Metro system

I am going to a lakers game in february and cannot drive. As I am staying in hollywood, I was wondering if the metro system is safe after dark.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro system

it's fine if you use common sense.

there should also be others doing the same, so...safety in numbers.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro system

While a car or taxi would be safer, taking public transportation to and from the Staples Center (where the Lakers play) is not too bad.

Depending on how you get there (train or bus), you may have to walk a few blocks to the Staples Center. It is an urban area, and there are neighborhoods that surround the city that do have more crime that more residental areas of Los Angeles.

As a local, I wouldn't consider you taking public transportation from Hollywood to the Staples Center and back as "crazy" or unusually unsafe.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro system

I would take a taxi.

San Jose Area, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro system

As others have said, there will be many others going to the game via the metro lines, so it should be very safe. The Blue Line stops 1 block away from the Staple Center (you can see the center from the train...there's just a parking lot in between!). When you're walking from station to center and back, I'd suggest staying with the crowd but otherwise, it should be fine.

Pasadena
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro system

I once saw a dude doing a #2 in one of those cylindrical garbage cans on one of the metro platforms--

He had an easy layup, but he decided to be a showboat and slam dump the thing...

You should be safe in transit, just be careful when you're "fishing" for metro souvineers!

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro system

The Metro should be fine.

I'd be more concerned about the walk from the station to wherever you're staying after the game.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro system

<<As a local, I wouldn't consider you taking public transportation from Hollywood to the Staples Center and back as "crazy" or unusually unsafe.>>

as a local....i would consider taking any public transporation in LA "CRAZY"

never done it...probably never will

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro system

Absolutely. I live downtown. Ignore any nervous nellies who tell you otherwise. Their hand-ringing is amusing.

Your main challenge will be to make sure you don't take the wrong train. If you're staying in Hollywood, make sure you take the North Hollywood train not the Western train.

I'd also recommend just walking up to the Red Line station at 7th & Figueroa. It is only a few blocks and you'll avoid the crush at the Pico station.

Enjoy the game.