We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Does anyone know how to go from above station by public transport to Hacienda Hotel at 525 North Sepulveda Boulevard El Segundo (near LAX airport). There're 4 of us with 2 normal suite cases & 4 backpack. Is that too much luggage to travel by public transport?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,609 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Does your hotel has a airport pick up service? If so, it is easy. Just take the redline subway to Union Station snf transfer to the FlyAway Bus that drops you off at the gates at LAX.

One way trip will be about an hour and $5,25 one way(1.25 subway, 4Flyaway bus)

If your hotel does not offer pick up's from the airport, just take a quick taxi ride(which will probably take 10-15 minutes)

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

The Hacienda Hotel in El Segundo has free pick up and delivery to LAX, as it's about a mile away. You just need to phone them from one of the terminals at LAX.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,280 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

The poster is asking about transportation from Hollywood and Highland to the hotel, not from LAX.

Kelvin8, you'll need to take a taxi.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,609 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Why? You can call the hotel, tell them what gate you are waiting for and get picked up right there

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,280 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Why what? Their starting point is Hollywood and Highland.

There's no gate, there's no LAX arrival. However, if they follow your directions, Alex, the flyaway bus from Union Station would take them to LAX, and then they could possibly take a hotel shuttle (if there's a hotel shuttle), but this would take hours all in. A taxi from Hollywood and Highland is the most direct and quickest option - with four splitting, it wouldn't cost too much, either, maybe $15 each.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Yogachik - OP is asking for a public transit option from Hollywood/Highland to El Segundo. I'm sure s/he know that a taxi would be fastest and most expensive.

Kelvin - There are two reasonably simple ways to get from Hollywood/Highland to your hotel. Alex already described one to you: Take the Metro Red Line (subway) from Hollywood/Highland to Union Station (21 minutes). There, transfer to the Flyaway bus to LAX (approx. 45 minutes). At LAX, arrange for the hotel's shuttle to pick you up (10 minutes).

Here is a cheaper, easier, and faster way to go about it: Take the Metro Red Line to the 7th/Metro Station (15 minutes). There transfer to the Metro Blue Line (light rail) to the Imperial/Wilmington Station (22 minutes). Walk upstairs (or take the elevator) and catch the Metro Green Line (light rail) west to the Mariposa/Nash Station (16 minutes). The Mariposa station is two blocks east of your hotel.

Cost/time comparison:

Taxi - approx. $70 total, 30-60 minutes.

Alex's Flyaway option - $1.25 subway ticket + $4 Flyaway ticket = $5.25 per person ($21 total), 80-100 minutes.

The train option I just described - $5.00 day pass per person ($20 total), approx. 60-70 minutes.

More info: http://www.metro.net

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,273 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

David and Alex have good ideas but if you plan to transfer in the late afternoon, I have a method that is EVEN FASTER and CHEAPER than the above:

Ride Metro Rail Red Line (marked "UNION STATION GATEWAY TRANSIT CENTER") heading east

To: 7TH STREET/METRO CENTER STATION

Pay $1.25 + $0.30 for Transfer.,

(Just outside of the station...)

Transfer to: Commuter Express #438 Bus (marked "REDONDO BEACH") heading south

To: IMPERIAL HWY/AVIATION BLVD(NW corner)

Use Transfer ticket from the red line.

Ending at AVIATION STATION

Total cash fare = $2.40

Trip time is about 50 minutes.

Then, hop on the the Metro Shuttle Line #626 bus heading south on Nash (just outside of the station). The ride takes 6 minutes and the buses run once every 15 minutes. Assuming an average wait time of 7.5 minutes, that would add about 14 minutes to the above 50 minutes (= 64 minutes) for a total cost of $2.40 + $1.25 (for the #626) = $3.65

Some notes:

1. The Nash St Station is about .6 miles (1 km) from the hotel

Here's a map of the route:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/3-RF84_j6n

(Point B is the Nash St station and point A is 2 minute's walk north of the hotel). So, walking from the Nash St station (which Dav's plan would require) would add 10-12 minutes to your transfer time.

2. The route I've recommended runs only during afternoon commuter hours. Here is the schedule of the Commuter Express #438:

ladottransit.com/comexp/…schedule

(You're looking for the bus "to Redondo Beach" which you will pick up at "Flower & 7th". The first bus of the day is at 4:02 pm and the last one is 6:32 pm.

3. Dav's 3-train option ignores waiting time between the trains (which averages 6 minutes per train, or about 18 minutes). When you add the transit time (53 minutes) + the average wait time (18 minutes), the total transfer time is 71 minutes (a painful, 7 minutes longer (LOL) than the method I've outlined). In addition, there is the walk from the Nash St to the hotel (which is not present in my plan).

So, now you have 3 ways to make the transfer!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

Good one, HSJ! Not sure how likely it is they'll be traveling during rush hour, but you never know. During rush hour, I actually like HSJ's suggestion better than mine because the Blue Line can be quite crowded during rush hour.

Also, if you have a pocket full of change, then you don't need to pay $5 in the option I described. Instead, you could pay $1.25 for each of the 3 trains. Thus, your total would be $3.75, 10¢ more than HSJ's option.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,609 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

HSJ one is great if you have the exact schedule(also dont think the 30 cent transfer works on the commuter express)

Also keep in mind that the Commuter Express only runs in the morning and afternoon during rush hour.

So go on the www.metro.net website, click on cummunter express and see if a bus will arrive during the time you want to travel

Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport from Hollywood/Highland Station LA to LAX

All of you've been so helpful & thanks.

From Hollywood/Highland station can you tell me how to go by public transport to Berverly Hills (Rodeo Dr) and also to West Hollywood (Sunset Strips, Whiskey A go go etc.)