We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in LA - my hubby's first time to the States!

HK
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
5 days in LA - my hubby's first time to the States!

Hi all

Dec this year, I am going with my hubby to LV(5 days) then LA (5 days) then 5 days in somewhere not decided(wanted to see some snow b/c we are both from Hong Kong, therefore no snow here : ). Both first timer! What would you recommend us to do during my 5 days in LA? Also I do have another 5 days in somewhere (what do you suggest me, worth to go?) Since I have been to Sisco and San Deiago, I wanted to go somewhere with a bit of nature, strongly wish I could see white mountain, staying in a house with fireplace. But we are staying on the west side, do you think it is ok?

Thanks for your all your help in advance!!!

HK
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 days in LA - my hubby's first time to the States!

Thanks for all your help and I will definitely spending some more time to look at your highlighted area/spots. Recently one of my friend recommend me to Lake Tahoe. Do you think this is good?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 days in LA - my hubby's first time to the States!

Lake Tahoe is an 8 hour drive from LA...compared to the 1.5 hours to big bear. Big bear is a pretty lame mountain skiing wise, but it is close. When i used to live in LA, my friends and I would go to big bear really early in the morning, ski a half day and then go twilight surfing, just to say we surfed and skied on the same day. We also would get very funny looks from the big bear townies when we had surfboards strapped to the top of our cars.

Go to the GETTY! The exhibits themselves are somewhat lacking, but the grounds make it worth while. Go to lunch or dinner at the sit down restaurant and you wont be disappointed. Skip catalina-nothing there and dont bother with rodeo drive. You will find the same stores anywhere in the world..there is NOTHING unique about it. go for a drive up PCH...eat dinner at Geoffry's in malibu. It is outdoor, but LA nver gets that cold. Have fun, writing this post makes me miss LA.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
363 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 days in LA - my hubby's first time to the States!

"The New York Times" has plenty of articles about things to do in Los Angeles. You have to register to read the articles, but registration is free:

…nytimes.com/top/…guide.html

Towards the bottom of this page they have a few brief guides from Fodor's that include: "Where to Go," "Stargazing 101," "Los Angeles in 1 Day," "Los Angeles in 3 Days," and "Los Angeles in 5 Days."

The articles are short and avoid mentioning specific restaurants to keep them useful. It wouldn't hurt to look them over for tips.

The mountains around the Los Angeles basin only have snow for a small part of the year, and most of the time you can't see them due to the smog in the air.