We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

united kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

Hi, we are travelling to los angeles from the UK for 2 weeks in october. there are two of us. we have already bought our tickets for universal studios and disney, and have already paid for our hotels. but i was wondering how much spending money we should take? we just need money for food and drink really. we are planning on going out to the clubs in the evening, but have no idea how much these are to get into, or how much drinks are etc. and how much is food roughly? any information would be greatly appreciated!!! many thanks for your help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

Cup of coffee $1.75, McDonald's hamburger $1, Full breakfast at or near hotel $8-$12, Lunch $8-$15, Dinner $15-$30 without drinks. (average in restaurants maybe beer $6, wine $8, drinks $10) Of course high-end restaurants are much more pricey but if you compare these prices to prices in UK, you will be able to make some estimates. Note that food at the parks like Disney/Univ is pretty expensive, probably double/triple what you would pay outside including $3.50 for soft drink, $10 for sandwich, $4 for ice cream etc. Have a good breakfast before you go to the parks!

Alex can probably help you with the clubs/drinks. As for restaurants, you can check menus online and some list the prices, what neighborhood is your hotel?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

That is a reall dificult question to answer without know your spending habits and what kind of restaurants you usually eat.

for 2 weeks of vacation $1500-1700 for both of You should be ok considering you already have purchased a handful of tickets.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

I reckon $100/day would be ok for food/drink. It will allow you to eat at a reasonable restaurant as well as get snacky sub type food too.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

My lunch costs $15 - $20

My dinners are usually about $50

My drinks are about $14 - $18

Don't forget to tip!!! You must tip 15% to 20% of the bill at lunch and dinner, and about $1 to $2 a drink.

Picture London prices, but put a dollar sign in front, rather than the pound sign. It's pretty much the same.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

LOL!!! I totally forgot about the tipping!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

Nightclubs can be $20 to get in. If you get on the list and come early, it could be free. Drinks there are $7-14 depending on what you drink (domestic US beer vs Grey Goose Red Bull).

You say nothing about what type of restaurants you want to visit. If you want cute and trendy places to eat, then yogachik's numbers are pretty good. If you're eating at McDonald's and taco stands, it'll be cheaper.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

L.A. is one of the most reasonable big cities anywhere for dining, unless you go trendy. Almost half of what you pay for similar in London. Here are two menus for you to look at , good food in a casual setting, you will find similar menus all over town.

www.mikeandannes.com/breakfast_lunch.html

http://www.pomodorowestwood.com/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,173 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

Most people on other forums suggest bringing little cash because they use their ATM cards to access their money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

Agreed. I hope you're not planning to carry all this around in cash. Most places take credit cards here and ATMs are everywhere. You can easily use your ATM/DEBIT card to pay or get cash or credit card for everything.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: los angeles vacation - how much money to take?

There is no way to answer this question really. You spent as much or little as you like. You can go for some 5 star restaurant and spent hundreds of $ or a little shag at the corner and have dinner for $6

As for clubs/bars. Happy Hour is big in L.A., most evgery bar has drinkspecials and cheap/free food b4 8pm, so that can save youa lot

As for clubs, some are free especially during the week, some are cheaper if you come b4 10.30pm, some are $20/all night