We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Venice safe to stay in?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Is Venice safe to stay in?

I am having a really hard time picking a place to stay - visitors will be 2 females for 3 nights. Plan to do a day of the Hollywood/Beverly Hills sites, a day of the beaches, and the remaining half day doing whatever. Thought the beach would be a nice place to stay - looked at all of the hotels in Santa Monica, and all in our price range (preferably under 200) had complaints that concerned me - mostly about noise and cleanliness. Found a hotel in Venice that claims to be sound proof, though 1 review makes me think otherwise - the Best Western Marina Pacific.

So would you stay in Venice if you were us? I keep reading things saying stay in SM, not Venice. Can you help me find a clean, QUIET, and reasonably priced hotel? Doesn't have to be at the beach, but would prefer that.

MD
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Venice safe to stay in?

bump

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,125 posts
5,162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Venice safe to stay in?

A close friend I know lived in Venice Beach then moved to Marina Del Rey....Venice Beach is nice for beach (during day) and has some great cafes. She always takes me there during the day when I visit (i.e. Venice Beach) and we love to do people watching and the beach. Note: Jay Leno is filiming some of his late night spots there recently....

For night life, I'd probably wander over to Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica.....Marina Del Rey has lots of theaters, shops, etc. for night life. Its mainly a harbor/boat area.

I think you'll be fine staying in Venice Beach if that fits your dollars, you are doing mostly beach activities; and don't mind going a few miles to Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica for night.

Note: Marina Del Rey is less than 2 miles away.....so its easy to get to and enjoy both.

Sounds like you have a car? I think you'll do just fine.

Have fun.....

Note: Its also great to be in Venice Beach to take a shower and wash off the sand before taking off for the evening so nice to have a place there to do that close to the beach.

London
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Venice safe to stay in?

Hi sf

We live at the NOrthern end of Venice (closest to SM). The area is safe and we walk to Santa Monica and 3rd street promenade each day. There is a bike path along the beach and during the day Venice has a great atmosphere and lots of street stalls, art and entertainers.

I've seen the Best Western, it's in a good location. There is also a Holiday inn in SM which is right near the pier. We live a block from the beachfront in Venice and don't really notice the noise from street or trafffic. It's LA, so its sort of omnipresent so you don't notice it at all! No where around here is going to be sound proof! Just ask for a room at the back or side and the higher up the better.

You could also try hotels in Orange County as the beaches there are nice and the drive to Universal is probably the same. The sea at SM/Venice is not really one that people like to go into. (you get surfers and the occasional kid). The water is better along the coast.

SM/Venice is good for nightlife. Even the shops on 3rd street stay open til 9pm.

Enjoy your stay!