We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need restaurant help from the locals...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need restaurant help from the locals...

Hi. I'm traveling to LA this summer with my mother and 2 sisters for a girls weekend away (my sisters and I are all in our early to mid 30's, married, and both of them are pregnant). We live in NY. I've been to LA several times before and absolutely love it there. My sisters have never been and are excited about eating out at good restaurants and all the fun shopping!

We will be there 3 nights only - from a Fri to a Monday. Their top 3 choices for dinners are Ago, Il Sole and The Ivy. Do you think these are good choices? I've been to both Ago and The Ivy. Liked the food at both places. They are definitely looking forward to some possible celeb sightings at dinner. If you have any better suggestions please let me know.

Our mother had only one request - she wants to see the Hotel Bel Air. Since we can't afford to stay there we are going for breakfast one morning. Anyone ever been? Are we allowed to walk around the grounds after we eat to see how beautiful the place is?

While in LA we plan to do some serious shopping - head to Santa Monica one day. Thinking about going to Malibu b/c I've never been. Any suggestions on what we could do there...is there shopping or a trendy little place to walk around and grab lunch maybe? I know nothing about Malibu.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. We are staying in Beverly Hills. THANKS!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

there are some great new places that are good. geisha house (very trendy) also, katana both asian. a.o.c. (tapas) & dolce (italian) are also good.

not sure about the hotel bel air.

malibu is more of a beach community, there are some nice restaurants by the water, but no real shopping or walking area's

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

Hello NYCchic,

There really is not an area to do shopping in Malibu, it is mostly a residential area. There is one major shopping center on Webb Way, but you will find mostly small cafes and grocery stores, Blockbuster, etc... You will find a few interesting restaurants along PCH. Unfortunately Pier View is closed for renovation ( the food was so so, but you could almost touch the ocean from the balcony ). I would recommend Dukes or Gladstones. Much further down PCH is a place called Neptune's nest, popular with the local surfers, but probably too far.

I live in Santa Monica and I would recommend that, apart from the touristy Third Street, you take them to Montana and Main Street. It is not easy to recommend restaurants to New Yorkers. Personally, I like a French restaurant on Beverly called " pastis ". It is not very large and you probably won't see any celebrity. It features cuisine from Provence. They have a Ahi Tartar that is delicious. You might also want to take them to Ocean Seafood for Dim Sum in Chinatown.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

i've had lunch at the hotel bel air and we were allowed to walk around. admittedly, we didn't scour the place, so some areas may have been off limits. but what we did check out was nice.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

I had dinner at Hotel Bel Air. It was quite the experience. It was a chilly night sitting al fresco. And the floor of the patio was actually heated tiles! It was real late, so we didn't walk around.. but it was quite beautiful there.

When you go to Santa Monica, check out the outdoor shopping area of 3rd St Promenade. And then you can drive up the coast of Malibu. If you want a nice (expensive) restaurant to see celebs, I highly suggest Geoffreys in Malibu.

Dinner at Ago is nice. The staff there are the nicest I've ever come across (we're "family" there). You probably won't see too many celebs over the weekend though. Another restaurant thats really great is The Little Door on 3rd Street.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

I have been to the Ivy in Beverly Hills and Dolce. Both were great food and great atmospheres. I would definitely recommend getting reservations a head of time!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

Thank you all for the great ideas and tips. This was all very helpful. I am jealous of those of you who live there...I love LA! Santa Monica especially - it's so beautiful!

I think we will spend one of our days shopping and hanging out in Santa Monica and then head to Malibu for lunch.

Thanks!

Hollywood, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

Hi, Just one tip....I just went with my wife to Hotel Bel Air for Brunch on a Sunday. It was great but it was a Pre Fix menu for Sunday brunch at $55 per person....a bit pricy for brunch but it was great.

Also...good casual celebrity frequented breakfast/lunch place is called "Doughboys" on 3rd St, near Farmers Market. Great breakfast. 8136 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048

Phone: (323) 651-4202

Have Fun!

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need restaurant help from the locals...

If you want to try a different shopping adventure, you should head over to the Fashion District in downtown. It might remind you of New York. You can find great style and exellent prices. I believe the Fashion District also has a I'd highly recommend Angelique's Cafe as a starting point. The Standard Hotel and the Golden Gopher Bar would be great places to end your day.