We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Safe is West Hollywood??

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Midwest
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How Safe is West Hollywood??

I am staying in Orchid Suites.How safe is that?? Is it pretty lively around midnight?? What is there to do nearby besides the mall?? And how far are nightclubs and bars? Is it safe to walk around a night?? Please Help.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

orchid suites is not west hollywood - just hollywood.

it's safe to walk around hollywood at night, there are a lot of clubs there. hollywood is not as nice as west hollywood, however. if you're expecting glamour, you may be disappointed.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,523 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

The area around your hotel -- Hollywood Blvd and Highland Avenue -- are the center of Hollywood nightlife. This area is "up late". There are cars and pedestrians walking around until the time that the bars and clubs close up. There are restaurants, bars, clubs and movie theaters within a block or two of your hotel and all but the movie theaters continue (east on Hollywood Bl) for about another 10 or 15 blocks. It's perfectly safe.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

It is a great location to walk around, you can leave your car at the hotel at night and walk to multiple restaurants, bars, clubs, movie theaters or just do some great people watching on Hollywood Blvd at night

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

Most clubs and bars are actually at least 10-15 mins away by foot closer to Hollywood Blvd/Cahuenga, not right at Highland where there are only a couple. Around the mall and in the mall, there are some restaurants. It's a safe area, but it's not in West Hollywood as mentioned. West Hollywood is prettier and more upscale, but Hollywood is perfectly safe (it's a big city, so yes, there are some homeless people etc, and don't walk too far east past Vine and south of Sunset. It's not pretty or too pleasant, but still safe). You can take a cab or a bus to Sunset Strip in West Hollywood to go out there a well.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

As if there are no homelesspeople in West Hollywood,lol. Also "prettier" is to the eye of the beholder. If you find it "prettier" that is fine, does not mean it actually is

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

That's why that statement is clearly under my name. That means it's my opinion (and coincidentally also of more than a couple tourists to the area if you read this forum), not yours.

Madrid
Level Contributor
188 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

Hi,

Orchid Suites area is very safe but, as someone else said, that's the Hollywood neighborhood, not the westwards adyacent city of West Hollywood.

Both areas are lively at night, both areas are safe... but I'd rather be in West Hollywood (in fact, I always do!). Much nicer...

Kindest regards!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

You should come out again as the area is changing in a rapid pace.

I actually made an afford to walk last night all the way from Hollywood/Highland to Hollywood/Gower with a tourist/visitor perspective in mind and have to say any tourist would be excited to see stupid paperazzies all over the place, passing bye hip/sophisticted places like Parc, Memphis or just have a drink a Le Scorpion or La Cantina

I really think that the Sunset Strip lost a lot of it's luster in the past years, for fact the West Hollywood City Council is trying it's best to actually get the "hype" back as it means tax dollars for the city itself

Dont get me wrong, I LOOOOVE West Hollywood as a city, but if you expect to walk around on Sunset to do some people watching, do some bar and clubhopping - that is not what you will find at least as of february 2008

There is

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

Well, I work right around Sunset Strip and walk it several times a week and have lunch there several times a week. Most of the time, I see at least one famous person around. There are designer boutiques, cafes, Equinox gym, and one of the most popular Coffee Beans with celebs there. Hollywood has glammed up along Hollywood Blvd, so it looks nicer for those several blocks than it did a few years back. They're going for that Times Square theme with lots of tourists around, so if that's what you like, then you'd appreciate it. Still, the streets east of Vine and south of Sunset Blvd are still plain and pretty ugly and deserted. Sunset Strip is the area that has that clean bright green look with palm trees and outdoor cafes which tourists often associate with LA.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How Safe is West Hollywood??

Dont hate