We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MC1
Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

I will be traveling to Los Angeles for the first time later this year and would cherish some tips regarding where to find the best book shopping. I am not really interested in the big box retailers like borders or barnes and noble, unless they have a particularly strong film section. No, what I want to find in L.A. are it's discarded books. The books that someone got rid of and were saved by some devoted book seller so that I could find them and bring them home to join the books on my shelf. We will have a car and a lot of time, so searching the entire region is not out of the question. Stores that focus on Art, in particular Film and Photography would be of most interest but my curiosity spans all topics. Thanks in advance for any suggestions; I look forward to hearing from you.

Southern California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

MC1 - Try Hollywood Book City:

http://www.hollywoodbookcity.com/

It's been several years since I visited there, but remember it was a fertile source for the research I was doing at the time.

I know there are a ton of book stores in the area. If you don't get any other recommendations or responses, try a Google search. Lots of sites like this:

www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/na-la.htm

Have a great time!

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

unfortunately, book city is closing, so it may not be here when you arrive.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

There are so many in the city, if you are looking for some good used bookstores, the areas of Venice Beach, Melrose, and North Hollywood have a good amount of used bookstores.

Some that I have been to and like:

Angel City Book Store in Santa Monica. A great used bookstore. angelcitybooks.com/cgi-bin/acb455/index.html…

Other good indi bookstores:

Dutton's Books in Brentwood and Beverly Hills http://www.duttonsbrentwood.com/

Vromans Bookstore in Pasadena

Storyopolis is amazing as well - although more children's books than adult. http://www.storyopolis.com/ but definately a book store experience. 116 N Robertson Blvd, Plaza Level A, Los Angeles, CA 90048

"Storyopolis is a unique art gallery and bookstore that showcases the best in storybook illustration and editorial art."

Hope this gives you a start.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

I've got just the place for you! Its right around the corner from me, located in a very quant block of restaurants, coffee shop, theater, art gallery, etc. Its called Counterpoint. (I even noticed it was featured in a new Prince video) They buy, sell & trade cds, lps, dvds, etc. "Rare and hard to find". Its phone number is 323-957-7965. Opened late (except for Sundays). website is www.counterpointrecordsandbooks.com

Just some of the books I've bought from there- Virginia Woolf's Orlando, Trainspotting, a collection of Poe's work, and an art collection book of Andy Warhol. They have a large selection of autobiography's. (I even know someone who's in a group that does entertaining readings from autobiographies.. and they get their material from this bookstore) And they have a rather large selection of art, photography, film, and Hollywood in general.

Here's a link to a review in citysearch-

…citysearch.com/profile/54324/los_angeles_ca…

And after you've perused their wide selection, you can always head a few doors down to the Bourgeouis Pig Coffee shop and read your material there.

MC1
Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

All right, thanks for the advice. I am very sorry to hear about the fate of Book City (another fallen hero), but the other suggestions are very interesting. You are totally astute hollynhollywood. Counterpoint sounds very close to paradise, which has to be close to coffee. What else is going on around Franklin Street? I see Harmony Gallery is next door to Counterpoint, these are the kind of places that I want to check out when we are in California.

I am also going to make sure we hit Storyopolis. Our son is 3 and loves books and that place sounds like it would blow him away. Thanks for the recommendation juxie.

This is definitely a great start to an L.A. scouting report. Please let me know if you guys think of anything else.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

Hi again. In the same strip on Franklin Ave, besides the gallery and Tamarind theater, are a few restaurants you might want to check out. Birds, which is an outdoor cafe/sports bar. They're busy from lunch to closing time (2am). They offer alot of chicken items obviously (but have a li'l bit of everything). Prizzi's is an insanely good Italian restaurant. Little pricier, but not too high. If you go, you MUST order the garlic sticks... I've never tasted anything like it. (They have a very interesting interior- including a loft area.) Then there's a sushi restaurant.. But I am a "freak" by LA standards as I don't eat sushi. So I've only been in there for tea and can't recall the name of it. Then there's La Poubelle, a French restaurant. Its just now getting into the lunch crowd, but its more of a dinner only place and a good place to grab a quiet drink (also open til 2am). And as I mentioned, there's Bourgeous Pig Coffee shop. (open til 2am) Its unique in that they have a pool table and an "opium den/genie's bottle" in the back. (And a little known fact-- the actor who played "Gunther" (coffee shop guy) on Friends, actually use to work here... during the time he was on Friends). There's a newstand/gift shop next door called Daily Planet. And across the street is a gorgeous mansion that is now owned by the Scientologist. It has a restaurant there that is open to the public. I've never eaten there, but if you're interested.. here's a link:

laweekly.com/ink/01/51/dining-rommelmann.php

So hopefully if you make it to Counterpoint, you'll find a few other places on the strip to enjoy some time.

Hope you have a great time.

Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

Thank you for the info on Franklin. I am going to be staying on Franklin and Beachwood. Ever hear of the La Mirage Inn there? Any comments about it? DD lives near there and wants us around the corner. I think that is the area you are talking about. Any other suggestions for the area? My dd is new to the area . deb

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

Hi Deb,

Yes this is the exact same area. But I gotta admit, I've never noticed that hotel/motel. I'll have to look closer next time I cross that intersection. And depending on which side of the intersection you are on, just to let you know, the 101-N interstate is right there.

Other things in the area that might interest you-- right around the corner from the "strip" is a shopping area. There's a deli/wine shop, a restaurant tucked away, its called Victors, and a laundrymat in case you need it. And right across the street from all of this is a grocery store- Mayfair Market (you'll probably see some B celebs in here, as well as everywhere else I've mentioned, as many live in this neighborhood). And just a couple short blocks away on Franklin Ave- 101 Coffee Shop (in the Best Western hotel)- its a very 'hip' coffee shop all the hollywood hipsters go to (it was featured in the movie Swingers).

And if you go up Beachwood Dr, in addition to a perfect view of the Hollywood sign, you'll come across a quaint, little market area tucked away. You'll see the "Hollywoodland" reality office (which is basically why the Hollywood sign is up there- it was to promote Hollywoodland realty) There is a country kitchen type of restaurant- its called Village Coffee shop. It has such a small town feel, you'd have no idea you're in the middle of Hollywood. And there's a few small shops and a market (but its a bit overpriced). And just past this area are some historic stone stairs tucked into the hillsides. There's 5 of them. If you're interested in getting in some exercise, lemme know and I can give you info on where they are. And if you're interested in horseback riding, there's Sunset Ranch at the very end of Beachwood Dr.

Oh and also close by is a seperate entrance to Griffith Park. It is straight up Bronson, which is the street next to Mayfair Market. There's places to picnic and there's a hiking trail at the end of the park (Bronson Canyon & trails go over to Beachwood Canyon and to the Hollywood sign)- and the caves from the Batman TV show are here too.

As you can tell, I love my neighborhood. :-)

Hope this has helped.

Florida
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

Thank you. It helps a lot. I can't wait to see the area. dd said I would love the area, sounds like she is right. deb

MC1
Detroit
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Book Stores...In General...And Film Titles in Particular

The info on Franklin Street was very helpful. We are going to allow a big block of time just to explore that area. If anyone knows of places like it in the region, let me know. These are wandering areas. I need to wander new towns. In and out of places. Galleries, restaurants, stores. That kind of stuff. Franklin Street stuff.

I've come up with some other bookstores. If anyone has any thing to say about Eliot Katz Booksellers or Arundel Books on Melrose, please fill me in. What is that area of Melrose like? Another store that I was interested in hearing more about is Other Times on Pico in West LA. Any comments. Any other suggestions. I will treat your recomendation with the highest respect. Thank you in advance for your time.