We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak tourist season

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
526 reviews
Peak tourist season

What is the peak tourist season in LA?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
32,087 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Peak tourist season

March/April - September/October.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Peak tourist season

July/August? No?

I tend to see a lot of tourists from europe during easter time. In the summer the school is out, so in regards of themeparks, they will be busy during that time of the year

Sept/Nov is kinda a little secret of visiting L.A. as the weather usually is stunning and usually the crowds are not to bad, especially along the beach

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Peak tourist season

Yogachic said: "March/April - September/October."

Is this to be understood as it is optimal to come in March/April or Sept/Oct or that most tourists come during those months?

I was also wondering if hotels usually are full during the first two weeks of July. I'm trying to plan a road trip but I don't want to book hotels ahead since I want flexibility to change plans and also get the lowest rates. Any tips?

Thank you.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
32,087 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Peak tourist season

July is the absolute peak. Hotels book up and sell out by May.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Peak tourist season

I think March/April and Sep/Oct are shoulder season. Summer, when kids are out of school and available, is peak. June, July, August - Even some California Disney Pass Holders are blocked during these months. Everyplace is jammed, but the weather rocks.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Peak tourist season

Ok, so I really have to book in advance to get a hotel in Los Angeles around July 9th to 7th?

I'm planning a road trip LA - LV - Yosemite - SF - LA, do I need to book ahead all along the route? It kills my flexibility :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,619 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Peak tourist season

Yosemite is the most difficult place to get a last minute res. Places there book up a year in advance.

for the rest IF you are NOT picky about where you stay or how much you pay then you will be fine.Otherwise book in advance,like NOW!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
194 reviews
8. Re: Peak tourist season

July 9-7th? Do you mean over 4th of July holiday? then definitely YES. and either case, in July, it's a yes.

Most hotels have a 24-72 hr cancellation policy anyway, so you don't lose anything.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Peak tourist season

Thank you, I meant July 9th to 17th in the LA area.

10. Re: Peak tourist season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, September 09, 2009