We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
384 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

We're arriving in LAX on a Tues morning at 10:40am on US Airways (I think that's term #1). We have to get our baggage, then check in and check the baggage thru for a flight on AA that leaves at 12:45PM for Honolulu (I think AA uses term #4). Some of you folks who know the LA airport....does this give us enough time to make this connection comfortably??

I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.

Sandy

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

IF your flight is not delayed arriving at LAX (and it always could be) and IF you are not travelling with small children, you should be able to make it without a problem. Figure 30 minutes to get your bags and get curbside and 5-10 minute shuttle to terminal 4 (depending on people boarding and unboarding the shuttle...). You need to give yourself atleast an hour to check-in and get through security. Is there anyway you can check your bags all the way through?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
384 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

No, I don't think we can check out bags straight thru. We're using FF miles for the round trip from Pgh to La, then buying a package to Hawaii. Maybe I could call US Airways and ask them. Think it'd do any good?

Thanks for the response.

Sandy

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

Sansue,

Ask US Airways if they have a baggage agreement in place with American Airlines. The terminal numbers are right. There is a shuttle that goes around from terminal to terminal. LAX is U shaped and the shuttle ride will not take more than 5/10 minutes, since they have to stop at terminals 2, 3 and Bradley before terminal 4. You should be OK if there are no delays.

Swindon, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

As everyone else has said you should be fine.

We flew in from the UK delayed. We had allowed 2 hours to get off the plane, through US immigration, then from one terminal to another which was a 5 minute walk. Sorry I can't remember the terminal numbers.

We landed into LAX with 45 minutes until our American west flight departed (1.5 hours delayed out of heathrow). The bags were checked through.

If you get delayed have a chat with the cabin crew. We were at the back of the plane. about 30 seconds before the seat belt light went off the cabin crew grabbed us and said go.

We walked down the plane as the seat belt light went off, straight off the plane, cleared immigration, collected the bags, through customs, dropped the bags on the next conveyor belt, walked up to the next terminal, through security and walked onto the plane taking off 45 minutes later.

Not bad at all really. You just need to be able to move when you need to.

2 Hours should be plenty of time.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Oh and that was making a connecting flight at LAX back to Las Vegas on a friday night. So not a quiet timeeither.

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving LAX...can we make our connections??

Assuming you are not delayed, that should give you enough time. Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 can be quite a little walk though. Tuesday should be okay. But the airport is a little more crowded than usual. We arrived back to LAX at about 5:15 AM yesterday from Honolulu, and already the airport (United Airlines terminal anyways) was already crowded. We were just in Hawaii last week, and enjoyed it soo much! We even had to extend our vacation!! Have fun!