We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

Hi there

This is a great site!! We are coming to the USA from New Zealand in Sept/October and will be in LA for the last 3 days. We will have already done Disneyland in Anaheim.

Where is the best area to find a hotel in LA? We are a family with 2 kids aged 10 & 12 and will not have a rental car. We want to find some last minute bargains to take home and also do Universal Studios and the LA Grand tour.

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated!!

Thank you, Karen

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

jk8a, the beach and mountains are great. However, they have those attractions in New Zealand.

Our deserts are a unique natural feature for someone visiting from New Zealand. We have the Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park and Mojave National Preserve for a reason!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

Well excuuuuuuse me! j.8a

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

I think renting a car is the ONLY way to get around the LA area! I've lived here ALL of my life and I cannot imagine trying to get around on our "nice, clean subway system". You are very limited on where you can go and it takes way too much time.

I would suggest either go up to the mountains to Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead. It is beautiful this time of year. Lake Arrowhead has a wonderful little village where you can have lunch. I also live about 45 minutes south of Santa Barbara and very close to Malibu. You should consider a drive up the coast through Malibu to Santa Barbara for a day trip.

The desert is very hot this time of year but IF you like that kindof thing, it is also very beautiful.

But no matter what you decide to do, please rent a car and get out of the LA Basin. Many people short change the LA area by not seeing all this area has to offer!

BTW, we are leaving in 3 weeks for New Zealand and Australia.

Good Luck!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

BTW, the weather may have cooled down by the end of September, so the desert might be something to consider. Not my first choice.

Have you considered visting Laguna Beach and area south of Los Angeles?

The weather has been very weird this year so I don't think you can make any predictions. It rained on my son's Kindergarten end of the year party yesterday and today it is sunny and glorious. So prepare yourself for anything (except snow unless you go up to the mountains).

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

One other day trip that I might suggest is Catalina Island. The kids love it there and you can go over for just the day. Visit http://www.catalina.com to check it out. You can overnight there as well and since it is after our summer holiday, it will be less crowded. Catalina is one of my favorite weekend getaways!

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What part of LA 4 1st time visitors?

For me, there's a lot of things to see and do in the LA area. Have lived here all my life and haven't seen everything it has to offer. My inlaws from Washington state(my husband is from Seattle), always stays a month with us every year, and enjoys it here. They'll be here in August again this summer for a whole month.

If you really do not want to rent a rental car at all as you had mentioned on your post, then the metro line would be an alternative, but it is limited and doesn't really take you to the beaches. We've taken it before, and it is safe, and there were tourists that we came across with that thought it was just fine also.