We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
70 reviews
28 helpful votes
Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Hi everybody!

I just got tickets to the Ellen Degerenes Show for October and we'll be flying out there just for that. I'd love to hear more about the experience from people who've been to a taping! It looks like such a blast on TV!

I've read through several old posts about the show, but there weren't any recent ones. I'm hoping the ticket process has changed somewhat from these older posts. The lady from the show told me that we had guaranteed seats, but from what I've read even when people had tickets they still had to show up early in the morning to claim a seat. Our show starts at 4 and they told us to get there by 1. Does that sound early enough? I told them that we were flying in just for the show and so hopefully when she said that we had guaranteed tickets, that is what she meant. Has anybody been recently?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
562 reviews
504 helpful votes
1. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Hi tk,

I didn't go to Ellen, I did go to Craig Ferguson as they were giving tickets out outside Mann's Chinese Theatre when I was staying in Hollywood.

They said on the tickets that a ticket itself was not a guaranteed seat so we should go early, and we did, we were hanging around for ages but there was a refreshment kiosk and bathrooms and nice people to chat to in the queue (sorry line!), so the time passed quite quickly. Some of the people who go seem to make a career out of attending tapings, they know all there is to know and consequently were very interesting to talk to.

We were told where to sit outside then the warm up guy came out and we had to practise "whooping and hollering" (woke us up!)

Finally you are taken in and take your seats and the taping starts, they may tape more than one show or segments of shows on the day you are there. It is all very slick and well organised, certainly the actual taping didn't take long, when we saw the show we had been to we realised it was actually parts of 2 consecutive shows.

I'd get there early and be prepared to wait, and enjoy!

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
62 reviews
224 helpful votes
2. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

I can help you look at more recent posts.

1. Enter the word Degenes in the SEARCH BOX above (below the narrow green stripe) and press GO.

2. When the matches appear, move your eyes to the right side of the window and you will see the words POST DATE at the top of the right-most column.

3. Just above POST DATE are the words SORT BY followed by a tiny drop-down menu that displays the word RELEVANCE.

4. Click on that drop-down menu, and select DATE. After clicking on DATE, the list will re-sort and the most recent sorts will be at the top of the list.

Good luck

BTW, have you thought about flying into nearby BOB HOPE AIRPORT (airport code BUR) in the city of Burbank (where the studio is).

This airport is 1/10th the size of LAX (less crowding) and, much, much closer -- about an 8-minute taxi ride away.

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
70 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Thanks for the replies! I'm new to this website and really appreciate all the wonderful help I'm finding!

About flying into Burbank. I've already booked my flight into LAX. I wish I had known to fly into Burbank instead because everything I've read says that it is much much easier to deal with.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
62 reviews
224 helpful votes
4. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Talk to your airline. If they fly into both airports, they might switch you. Even if there is a modest fee to do so, it's well worth it!

California
Level Contributor
470 posts
68 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Yeah, be prepared to stand in line. I recall being in line on the street, then on the lot, then in the buiding. But it was fine. Our seating was first come, first served.

Tips:

We dropped off two people to go stand in the first line (out on the sidewalk) while we parked and walked back (a couple blocks). That saved a little time. The studio really is very, very cold.

The Burbank Airport idea is a really good one b/c of potential traffic problems...

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
70 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Thanks again for the replies!

About the Burbank airport... I checked and my airline doesn't have direct flights to Burbank, so it would make the flight/layover time 3 hours longer. I'm not a huge fan of flying, so I guess I'll just stick to the quicker flight and then deal with the frustration on the interstates! I'm sure later I'll regret this! haha

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

If your're flying here just for "Ellen", you don't have to get a car. Just take the quick Flyaway coach from outside baggage claim to Union Station, then hop the subway (if your luggage isn't mega-size) up to Universal. The whole trip will take about 60 to 80 minutes , which is about as long as it would take you to pick up your rental car and hit the road. And your total will be about 5 bucks per person.

Stay at the Universal Hilton or Sheraton, you can hop a 12 minute citybus ride to "Ellen", or catch a $15 cab. With the new guaranteed tickets, you don't have to show up any earlier than you've been told by the ticket person.

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
70 reviews
28 helpful votes
8. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

Thanks for the reply Jeff! I'm glad that you mentioned that it would take me about the amount of time to pick up the rental car as it would to just go ahead and hop on the subway. I figured the rental process would take up a lot of time and I think it would be less stress after the long flight to just jump on the subway! I am a light packer and I'm going to insist that my travel partner does the same thing! She is not known for light packing, but hopefully the idea of hauling a huge suitcase through the subway will knock some sense into her! ;-)

So, you've heard about Ellen having "guaranteed" tickets? I've not seen them mentioned anywhere else here on tripadvisor, but I'm certain that the lady from the show told me that my seats were guaranteed and that I didn't need to be there until 1pm. I'm glad to hear that i don't need to wait all day because now maybe we can do a studio tour or something like that the morning of the show. I've heard the warner brothers tour is pretty good!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
20,117 posts
61 reviews
55 helpful votes
9. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

If you have it in writing that you would not have to be there b4 1pm(via e-mail for example), I would just bring a print out with me(just in case) which you can show the person that is in charge of the audience when you are in line. Especially if you just come out for the taping, i am sure they will acomendate you

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
34 helpful votes
10. Re: Going to the Ellen Degeneres Show in October...

I'm hoping to get tickets for an October, too... Just wondering how long ago you put your request in? I put in my request about a week ago. Haven't heard but I'm still hoping for a phone call! Can you tell me how many days it took for the phone call after you put in your request??