We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay between Covina & LAX

Prescott, Wi
3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay between Covina & LAX

Aloha~

I would appreciate input on where to stay just for one night. I'm not familiar with LA at all... I'm dropping my car off in Covina to be shipped to Hawaii. I then fly out from LAX the next day at 9:15am. I want to stay somewhere in between where I can walk to (or short cab) to some fun bars & a place to eat. I prefer not to spend more than $125 if possible.. I'm planning to catch a shuttle to the airport. Thanks in advance!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay between Covina & LAX

Hi Paradise!,

There are probably not very many places you would want to stay the night at between Covina and LAX. You could probably stay in Culver City and take a short cab into the Downtown C.C. area. There are numerous restaurants although the nightlife is a bit sparse. My best recommendation for you would be Santa Monica/West LA. It's a short shuttle ride to LAX. You can go to Main Street and find many restaurants and bars...I usually eat at Enterprise Fish Co. It's a great seafood spot! I live in the area so if you would like to ask any questions just let me know!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay between Covina & LAX

I agree with the above poster, but if you want to save money, you should stay in downtown Los Angeles due to the excellent public transportation. For example if you stay at the reasonably priced Metro Plaza Hotel near Union Station, you can get there from Covina by train or bus and then take the inexpensive FlyAway bus from Union Station to LAXthe next morning. From the Metro Plaza you can walk to many restaurants and bars or take the red line subway to Universal City Walk which again has restaurants, bars and entertainment. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d77829-R…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,037 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay between Covina & LAX

Definitely stay downtown, it's within your budget (I suggest using priceline.com). you can take the flyaway bus to LAX, and there are many great bars downtown nowadays.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,779 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay between Covina & LAX

A third vote for downtown. Train schedules from Covina into L.A.'s Union Station are at http://www.metrolinktrains.com/schedules/

(Select the approprate "San Bernadino line" schedule based on the day of the week that you are traveling).

I agree wtih Yoga regarding using Priceline. For $125 or less per night, you can have a very nice stay. I'm not really fond of the Metro Plaza Hotel (mentioned by a prior poster). It's very close to the train station and cheap! but for a little bit more and a 5-10 minute taxi ride from the station, you can vastly improve your accommodation.

For nightlife, check with your hotel's concierge or hop on the red line metro rail to the Hollywood & VIne or the Hollywood & Highland stop. (15 to 17 minutes from downtown).

Here's a link to some of the restaurants and clubs in Hollywood:

losangeles.citysearch.com/roundup/40574

A taxi ride between downtown and Hollywood will run around $15 or $20. The metro rail (running every 12 minutes) is $1.25. BTW, make sure you get on the RED LINE train, not the PURPLE LINE, the latter of which goes to WILSHIRE/WESTERN -- the center of Koreatown. Both trains leave from the same downtown platforms.

Have fun!

Prescott, Wi
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay between Covina & LAX

I really appreciate everyones ideas...! You guys are great! If you have any particular ideas on hotels/ great bars in that area please let me know... ~ Aloha

6. Re: Where to stay between Covina & LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 05, 2009