We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

Hi,

I'm visting LA next week and really want to have a few drinks next Friday night at The Sky Bar going to a club.

At first I thought about booking a table at Asia De Cuba as I thought this would probably get me in to the bar for a few drinks after dinner....but I have read many different reviews from people that have been there and some have even wrote that they had spent $100's in Asia De Cuba then been told that they cannot enter The Sky Bar unless they are on the Guestlist???

Does anybody know how to get on this guestlist? Is it really that hard to get in to the place?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,082 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

It's not worth the hassle in my opinion. Sky Bar was big maybe 6/7 years ago, no locals really go there. It is mostly a tourist/hotel spot

Most of the hip and happening places are in Hollywood now, especially when it comes to nightclubs. I would gladly put you on a guestlist for some upscale club in Hollywood, just message me and let me know what night you are coming out

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

Personally, I never tire of the view at Sky Bar, particularly during the summer. The key to get in - go at 7 or 7:30.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,082 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

yeah, the view is nice, but not worth bribing the doorguy $100 just to get thru the door to hang out with a mediocre crowd. Just my 2 cents...

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

Yeah, the only reason I want to go is that it looks a really nice place to chill out at and have a few drinks. Especially want to go for the view!

How is the Standard Hotels rooftop bar...probably doesn't compare?? Can anybody recommend anywhere else?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

Standard also has a great view - but also consider Sunset Tower:

http://www.sunsettowerhotel.com

wrexham
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

I am going to LA in December - again want to get to the best bars for views & also my fiance is hoping to do some celeb spotting!!

We're looking to stay somewhere quite central...can anybody recommend a nice hotel?

Is it worth booking into the Mondrian to get into SkyBar?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,606 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

Will you have a car? What's your budget per night?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

I agree with Yogachik. It's worth going for the view. The trick to getting in is getting there before 9pm. If you do that, you shouldn't have a problem. I personally prefer the bars and lounges over all the Hollywood clubs. A Hollywood club is worth checking out for one night to see what it's about, but they're all pretty similar with same type of crowd and same top 40 music. I would recommend you combine several types of places into your nightlife sampling. Sky Bar is fine. I would also check out Bar Marmont if I were you. The Standard is also interesting to check out. The key to getting into all these without issues is looking nice and getting there early.

To the other poster: if you're looking to spot celebrities, clubs are not the way to do it. Celebrities go out during the week and unless you are a very hot group of girls who know how to talk to the bouncers, you probably won't get in to the ones where the celebs hang out. To spot celebs, it would be better to try to go to the shops and restaurants they frequent, although don't count on seeing anyone or you will be disappointed. Good places to try are Robertson Blvd shops between Melrose and 3rd Street, Melrose Ave between Fairfax and LaCienega, restaurants like Nobu, Matsuhisa, Katsu-ya etc on a weekday night, etc.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

Hi, I will be staying in West Hollywood this weekend with my husband for a mini-vacation. Any recommendation for a good restaurant, club or bar? I will have a car, but prefer to take a cab anyway.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Sky Bar @ The Mondrian

We need more information. How old are you? What kind of atmosphere and food would you like? What time would you be going, i.e. bars get going after 10pm and restaurants are fine 7-10pm. Do you want something hip that turns into a lounge or from somewhere you want to conveniently go out after, or do you want a nice romantic meal?