We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Venice Beach from LAX

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Venice Beach from LAX

Hi there!

I'm making a stopover in LAX next friday and have to wait > 7 hours on the airport. I would love to visite Venice Beach, or downtown LA. Is this possible in this short period?

Can I easy take a cab to Venice Beach, downtown? I will arrive around 4pm, so might be busy in town? I will leave at 11pm.

Hope to get some info about this!

Thank a lot!

John

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,008 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Venice Beach from LAX

Downtown is undoable - but Venice is quite easy - if you don't have your bags with you. There is no luggage storage at LAX.

Know that you will need to get to LAX by about 9PM, if you have an 11PM flight. Catch a taxi at one of the taxi stands outside baggage claim and it will be about $15 to Venice. Ask to be dropped at Main Street and Ocean Park. Then, you can walk south, go into a restaurant, the shops, and a bar or two, and walk down Abbot Kinney.

You'll need to get a business card from the taxi you took from LAX, to call and order a taxi when you are ready to be picked up. Any of the restaurants or bars will call for you - order the cab about 15 minutes before you need to leave, and don't leave any later than 8:30PM.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,254 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Venice Beach from LAX

You will be arriving during our busy traffic period: Fridays between 13:00 and 19:00. I agree with Yoga that Venice is very possible (it's close to LAX) but I'll add a few things:

1. You don't say where you are headed at 11pm. If your flight is international, then you'll need to be at the airport 2 hours in advance. If your flight is a domestic one (and you already have your boarding pass), then an hour should be plenty.

2. I'm a little bit more pessimistic about your taxi ride to Venice than Yoga is. The fare is calculated based on distance and the time it takes to reach your destination. Although the route to Venice is simple -- north on Sepulveda Bl, merging onto LIncoln Bl into Venice and then west to the ocean. There will be lots of traffic on that route. The slower the traffic, the more expensive the fare. I'm thinking closer to $25 (including tip).

3. If your onward carrier is not prepared to accept your luggage when you are ready to leave the airport, you can hire a service to pick it up, store it and return it to you later. Here is one:

http://www.laxluggagestorage.com/

Keep in mind that it costs $10 to pick up and return each bag to you plus the cost of storage (from $5 to $10, depending on size). So, it's likely that the service will cost around $16 PER BAG stored.

I would also call more than 15 minutes in advance for the return taxi (In view of the traffic). Decide on a return time in advance and give the taxi company at least 30 minutes' notice. Select a pickup location that's pleasant -- perhaps, with a view of the ocean -- so that you have something to look at while you are waiting.

I had a 4 hour layover in Brussels a few years ago and we took the train in to see the World Famous MANNEKEN PIS. I must say that his reputation is a lot bigger than he is. I walked past him, at first, without even realizing it!

Enjoy your short stay with us.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Venice Beach from LAX

Hi yogachik and HopSkipJump,

thanks a lot for the replies!

I have posted more details on my stopover.

1. These is my schedule:

Arrives: 3:20pm (from Holland with KLM)

Departs: 11:15pm (to Fiji with Air New Zealand)

With in total 6 persons!

2. With a cab for six persons I hope the fare per person will be OK?

3. Our luggage will probably be labbeled through from Amsterdam to Fiji.

Takes it long/ Is it easy to pick up the luggage, go through customs, put the luggage on the other belt and to get out of the airport?

4. What do you suggest of leaving with the cab from Venice back to LAX? I think leaving around 8pm ultimately?

PS> Just today I read another post with people suggesting not to go off the airport with a 7 hour stopover... do you agree on this?

nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20 070620205549AAnUWAw

PS2> I sometimes come in Brussels bit I live in Holland... and yes Manneken Pis isn't huge :)

Thanks a lot again and all the best from the lowlands!

John

4. Re: Visiting Venice Beach from LAX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 02, 2009