We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeing and traveling LA.

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
9 posts
Save Topic
seeing and traveling LA.

hello everyone.

i have read lots abt needing a car to travel around LA. however, where i come from, we drive on the other side of the road, and so i am a little concerned abt being unfamiliar with the road directions, and ultimately worried abt how unsafe it could be.

how expensive do the cabs get?

we will be staying in UCLA's guest house (will be a summer student there, moving into university accommodation after the family leaves to go back home) and so if we get a cab to take us to say Camarillo Outlets, how much would that be approximately?

also, how far are the other outlet stores - Citadel, Desert Hills.. and any other outlets in the area. :)

i have heard from many who rave about outlet shopping in the States, and they talk of Levis jeans getting as cheap as $10 and Guess bags being half-priced.. were they talking about the same stores, or should i be looking elsewhere?

back to seeing and traveling LA - is it difficult to travel via public transport in and out of downtown LA?

bearing in mind i will be in the Westwood area and i plan on seeing these places:

Santa Monica

Hollywood, Universal Studios

shopping streets - Beverly Hills, Sunset Boulevard..

will it be relatively easy to get around? i am really quite concerned abt safety (if you realise, i am from singapore - just abt the safest and most sheltered country on earth) and i will be traveling with my parents (over 50) and younger brother (16).

i hope you guys can help! :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,466 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeing and traveling LA.

I recommend using shoppershuttle.com - they have excusions at a very low cost (far more reasonable than a taxi) that are exclusively for shopping. We've seen very favorable reviews here. I know they have Outlet excusions, as well as popular shopping area excusions, and I see their vans around all the time, even in Malibu.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seeing and traveling LA.

Hollywood/Universal/Santa Monica/Beverly Hills is easily accessible via public transit from westwood so need to get a taxi if you want to explore those places

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seeing and traveling LA.

Here's a shopping locale you should check out.

www.fashiondistrict.org

As for safety, Los Angeles is a very safe place. Obviously, it is a large city and some common sense is useful. But, crime statistics have declined greatly over the past decade. Various media are not too helpful in explaining this fact to visitors.

HTH

singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seeing and traveling LA.

thank you so much for the prompt replies! much appreciated!

yeah after further trawling across tripadvisor forums, i now plan to hit downtown LA shopping before hurrying out to the outlet stores. they cost so much to get to! even with shopper shuttle, which by the way was a great suggestion - sthg i didn't know abt! thanks!

to alex90028: "..easily accessible via public transit from westwood so need to get a taxi if you want to explore those places"

i'm thinking you mean.. "NO need to get a taxi.."?

and i hope i don't sound overly paranoid! haha. i'll be sure to enjoy my time there without looking over my shoulder every two seconds, i promise! ;)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,867 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seeing and traveling LA.

no need for a taxi. From ucla you can take the santa monica blue bus # 1 str8 to Santa Monica for 75 cents. It should not take more than 30 minutes each way

To beverly hills you just walk down to wilshire blvd and take either the #20 or #720 (wilshire/westwood blvd) and you are in beverly hills within 5 minutes

To Hollywood you take the #2 bus from the ucla campus via sunset blvs to west hollywood in about 10 minutes, Hollywood in about 15/20 (exit on sunset/highland, just walk 2 blks to hollywood blvd and you are right in the center of hollywood)

To Downtown again go down to wilshire/westwood, take the # 720 to downtown. It's a rapid/express bus that should take you there in 25 minutes.

Universal Studios, just take the #2 to Sunset/Highland, walk two blks and take the subway to universal studios from there (it is only one stop)

As you can see westwood is centrally located, all the buslines i mentioned come frequently, especially the #720 which comes every 2-3 minutes thruout rush hour. The Santa Monica Blue bus leaves about every 10-15 minutes as is the #2 metro bus

For exact times you can always use the metro trip planer at www.metro.net, just punch in ucla as your starting point and wherever your destionation is as a endingpoint and they will tell you the exact times for your travel

6. Re: seeing and traveling LA.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 03, 2009