We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Standard

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
7 posts
Save Topic
The Standard

Hi,

I've seen quite a few posts about whether to choose Bestwestern on Sunset or Grafton and that was my dilemma; however, now I am contemplating The Standard???

I have looked for previous posts, and some are rather dated, just wanted to know what is their bar/nightlife like?

I already know that there is a slight price difference between the three, but checking in for two nights, want to get the best out of L.A. nightlife, and the hotel would be the best place for this to start

Any thoughts????

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,245 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Standard

Best nightlife on Sunset would be Standard or Sunset Tower. Mondrian, too.

Best nightlife hotel in LA: Hollywood Roosevelt.

New York City
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Standard

Ok. Thanks. Going to talk to the other girls going about prices and make a decision soon. Only three weeks to go!! :0)

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Standard

I quite like The Standard hotels. My understanding is they are part of a small chain of boutique hotels. I stayed at a place in Soho once, which is owned by the same company. I also spent my honeymoon at The Standard in downtown L.A. I was quite impressed with the places. I liked the aesthetics of how things were laid out. Everything seemed organized for impromptu partying. I think for people like yourself this is a good match. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the place for my parents. It is definitely not for everyone. That said, I've never stayed at the location on Sunset.

Also, YC's opinions are very useful on this matter.

HTH

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,245 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Standard

If budget is a concern, you could always stay at the Best Western and walk the block or two to the other hotels that have happening bars. The Best Western is right in between Sunset Tower (always hopping) and the Grafton (Boa is a good restaurant). However, if you stay at the Hollywood Roosevelt, you have a better chance getting into their bars (not guaranteed, from what I understand, but better chance, especially if you go early, around 7 or 8). Book soon, everything books up.

Have you considered Santa Monica? It's the beach, and there are super hip hotels with super hip bars there, too. The Viceroy and The Huntley.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Standard

The Standard in Downtown is deffinatly the better one in L.A., only problem is that there is not to much in the area you can do without driving towards Hollywood

The West Hollywood Standard is ok, they have a tiny club in there and a nice terrace overlooking L.A.

It is not as hip as it's downtown sisterhotel, but you can easily drive or even walk to a lot of happening spots in the area

Swed-LA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: The Standard

I would go to the Standard on Sunset - at least stop by at night and peak in (it's a must when I think of it!) or when I think of when I was there!.. But that was a couple of years ago. My experience when I stepped in was that it was Amazing and Cool esp. the real girl in the aquarium I remember was a really cool and odd detail back then anyway! But when I think of going back to H-wood-LA to visit (Which I Am if my wish come true this year! used to live there-work on it now!) that's s-thing I think of or think that I'd want to do, step by at least to check it out again!..

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
14,557 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Standard

Check the 360 view from the rooftop bar/club at the standard/downtown, you can not beat that

…tripod.com/threesixtypics/threesixtypicture…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Standard

I'm looking for a nice, but somehwat funky hotel in LA somewhere close to Los Feliz where I can stay when visiting my son. Clean and reasonably quiet, not crazy expensive. Would like a bar and restaurant on site or somewhere close enough to walk to for late snacks and a night cap. Thanks for any feedback.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,245 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Standard

Mamaboboo, I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before, but there are no hotels that fit your description in Los Feliz or the surrounding area - in fact, there are no hotels in Los Feliz (plenty of motels, though). The closest would be downtown LA, for an inexpensive, funky, hotel with a bar and restaurant, something like The Standard.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Standard

Yep, we have had this conversation before. I just keep hoping... But sounds like I need to deal with reality. Thanks again.