We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Please let me know if this looks too ambitious:

3 full days, reaching LAX Tuesday August 14th evening (Hotel/Family in Buena Park). Have August 15th, 16th and 17th full days and then return from LAX on Saturday the 18th late AM.

Day #1 (Wednesday) Visit Universal Studios, Griffith Park/ Observatory/ Hollywood/ Beverly Hills, drive down Sunset Blvd to PCH to Topanga Canyon to Fwy 101 North. Spend night somewhere north between Sherman Oaks and Camarillo.

Day #2 (Thursday) Explore Santa Barbara, then drive down 101 to Oxnard and catch PCH back to Santa Monica via Malibu, then drive down Hwy 1 From Somewhere in Orange County to Fwy 5 south to San Diego. Spend night in San Diego.

Day #3 (Friday) Explore San Diego and then drive north to either Anaheim/ Buena Park OR somewhere near LAX to spend night.

Flight back from LAX (Saturday) at 11:15 AM.

Please feel free to shuffle the days if you think it would work better. Please suggest any other itinerary you deem more logical. Sight seeing is mostly important as I will be bringing family from UK to escape the Texas heat.Just wanted to visit Universal as there are 3 teenagers and a 6 yr old in the group.

Thank you in advance.

20 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

There is so much hurt in my head trying to figure this out. You are covering so much distance in miles that I dont know where you have time to do any sightseeing other than from inside a car without getting out. That Santa Barbara to San Diego in one day and not using the freeways but rather surface streets. yikes.

to be more realistic, you need to cut off universal and san diego or santa barbara.

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

LOL. Thank you!

I would remove Santa Barbara, and stop at Malibu then. Perhaps add Santa Monica. Since I would be starting from Buena Park on Day 1, should I drive down to San Diego from there via Hwy 1/ Fwy 5, or should I stick with visiting Universal Studios/ Hollywood/ Beverly Hills, and Keep San Diego for Day 3?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,264 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

You can't do all that you list, there's just no way possible. You have to take traffic into account, plus the fact that your starting point is 90 minutes from everything. Drop Santa Barbara and San Diego, those are hours away. Did you want to spend all three days in a car?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

The major issue with your plan is the Buena Park location. Focus on Orange County (Laguna Beach) and San Diego, one day for LA only, as traffic will kill you with all you want to do!

For your LA day, leave at 9:30 am to Hollywood & Highland shopping mall, park there, walk of fame, etc., is right out the door, about 2 hours. Go to Griffith Park Observatory after this. Set the GPS for Rodeo Drive, to take a look, then on to Santa Monica, where you'll park at a beach lot. Enjoy the afternoon/evening here: pier rides/arcade/small aquarium beneath, beach bike path, Tongva Park, 3rd St. Promenade. After dinner, head bacck to Buena Park.

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Ok chopping off more......

Reaching LAX (Tuesday) August 14th Evening. Meeting family in Buena Park. Hotel in Buena Park.

Day #1 (Wednesday) Visit Universal Studios, Griffith Park/ Observatory/ Hollywood/ Beverly Hills (Rodeo Dr and Mulholland Dr) Night in Hollywood area/ Palisades/ Santa Monica/ West LA/ Culver City?

Day #2 (Thursday) Catch PCH to Malibu. Explore Malibu then drive back. (Scenic drives in Malibu/Turning Back Point?) Explore Santa Monica. Catch Hwy 1 somewhere scenic in Orange County down to Dana Point.

Day #3 (Friday) OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS if canceling San Diego. Then drive to either Buena Park (meet family again) OR somewhere near LAX to spend night.

Day #4 (Saturday) August 18th Morning. Drive to LAX. Flight at 11:15 AM.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Day 1, drop Palisades/ Santa Monica/West LA/Culver City. You don't have time, Universal is about 6 hours. Hollywood and Griffith Observatory are close, do them, drive back at night.

Day 2, Scenic drive Palos Verdes Peninsula, motorcycleroads.com/75/…sthash.xepCqv6f.dpbs Do some tidepooling here.

Consider the Aquarium of the Pacific, drive to Chrystal Cove State Park, Laguna Beach enjoy it and the downtown Laguna Beach. I suggest this because it's closer to where you are. If you want to stop at a sweet beach town for a stroll and lunch, Seal Beach is a gem.

Day 3, PCH through Malibu, turn around at Pt. Mugu, return to Santa Monica, spend the rest of the day here, drive back after 7:30 pm. Or go to San Diego.

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Thank you!!

Actually after the 1st night, we are not obligated to stay in Buena Park and can stay in hotels anywhere. Hence I was asking where should I book the hotel after our Day #1 Universal Studios, Griffith Park/ Observatory/ Hollywood/ Beverly Hills (Rodeo Dr and Mulholland Dr) day (Hollywood area/ Palisades/ Santa Monica/ West LA/ Culver City?), and the next day we can start from the hotel to Malibu via PCH and do the rest of Day #2.

Day #3 we can spend in LA area or Orange County, and either stay the night in a Buena park hotel , or somewhere near LAX.

Sorry for the confusion.

Garland, Texas
Level Contributor
208 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Thank you Plumeria D for the Palos Verdes Peninsula recommendation!!

Refreshed Itinerary:

Reaching LAX (Tuesday) August 14th Evening. Meeting family in Buena Park. 1st night hotel in Buena Park.

Day #1 (Wednesday) Visit Universal Studios, Griffith Park/ Observatory/ Hollywood/ Beverly Hills (Rodeo Dr and Mulholland Dr) (Should I book hotel in Hollywood area/ Palisades/ Santa Monica/ West LA/ Culver City?)

Day #2 (Thursday), PCH through Malibu, turn around at Pt. Mugu, return to Santa Monica. Explore Santa Monica. Scenic drive Palos Verdes Peninsula. Drive down to Chrystal Cove State Park. Also stroll downtown Laguna Beach. (Hotel suggestions based on Day #3 itinerary)

Day #3 (Friday) OPEN. We can spend in LA area or Orange County or San Diego, and either stay the night in a Buena Park hotel, or somewhere near LAX.

Day #4 (Saturday) August 18th Morning. Drive to LAX. Flight at 11:15 AM.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

Drop Crystal Cove and Laguna from Day 2, WAY too busy and rushed. Even Malibu and Santa Monica can take up most of a day.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,264 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion

You don't understand traffic. Day 2 is a full day just with Malibu, driving north to Pt Mugu, and Santa Monica.

Day 3 can be Laguna Beach.

Reply to: 3 Days in LA area Itinerary Suggestion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted