We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

N Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

Hi, we will be spending two nights at the Magic Castle hotel in December. We will arrive after a long haul flight on Day 1, and leave for a long drive to Vegas on Day 3, so really I think we have a day and a half to see the sights.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Only one requirement out of our stay, and that is a pic with the Hollywood sign!

Other than that we wouldnt mind a night out at some cool bars or clubs.

Thanks

Hollywood
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

Since you will be staying in the heart of Hollywood, you will find many things to do. Magic Castle hotel is 1 block from all the touristy stuff like the Hollywood/Highland Entertainment complex, Kodak theatre, Chinese Mann Theatre, Stars Walk of Fame, restaurants, shops, etc. Universal Studios Hollywood is about 5 min. drive and you may enjoy the Universal Citywalk as well while up there. In regards to the Hollywood sign - you are not allowed to actually go up directly to the sign because most of that area are private properties. But there is hiking trail that leads toward the sign from Durand Drive near Beachwood Drive, but the best view is from down below, at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Bronson Avenue. I hope that helps. Good luck and have a great time. -George

N Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

Thanks so much for your reply.

Would there be anywhere outside of Hollywood you advise that we really should spend a few hours? We will be taking in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Monterey later in the trip, if that helps.

Also, can you give us any restaurant recommendations? We like to try the hip, happening places on city breaks, so where would be somewhere we could really have a nice meal and be in awe that we are actually there!! Read about Chi yestertday...

Thanks again

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

DO NOT go to Chi!! The food there is terrible... it gave me a stomach ache so bad that I only felt better after I vomited! Great restaurants: Boa (steak), Asia de Cuba (asian-latin fusion), Katana (sushi).

A cool bar: 3 Clubs. It's on Santa Monica/Vine in Hollywood. No cover, really dark rock and roll bar with a rockin' jukebox. On the weekend, there is a second room that plays hip hop with dancing.

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

re: restaurants...we just got back from a week in beverly hills/hollywood, and had a couple of amazing meals! Chaya brasserie in beverly hills was so incredibly good, had read about it in the frommer's guide to L.A., and a few locals working in shops mentioned it when we asked for suggestions. It is very loud inside, definitely a "see and be seen" kinda crowd, they do have a little patio, we chose to sit out there and then there was no noise issue, but you do then give up the ability to seach the crowd for celebrities, if that's of interest to you. My husband and I are total "foodies" and we loved everything we ate, if you go, you must try the "bananas bananas bananas" for dessert! They have a web site, so you can have a look at the menu before going. Another total "find" was "frieda", a very authentic mexican restaurant in beverly hills, you can find the exact addresses for these places on internet. We actually ate here twice, cuz it was so incredibly good and very reasonably priced. If you have a car rented and a good street map, it's actually very easy to get around town, and as long as it's not rush hour, it really doesn't seem to take very long to get anywhere. We have very high expectations when dining out, and we have nothing but positive things to say about these two restaurants. Hope this helps!

N Ireland
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

thanks for the advice! will definitely check these places out.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

I don't recommend 3 Clubs, it had it's hayday a few years ago. I was just there three weeks ago and it was certainly a San Bernardino type crowd.

Since you will be in Hollywood, I recommend dinner at Paladar on Wilcox. It's a small Cuban restaurant that has great food and the portions are decent size. It's not too expensive, along the same lines as the restaurants recommended above but they do have Happy Hour 7 days a week from 5:30PM to 7:30PM. They have the best Sangria, which you can get for $3.00, about $8.00 regular price. I've been numerous times and have not been disappointed... also, you may see a celeb or two. I was there this past Saturday and Chris Rock was sitting directly in my view a section over from me.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for 2 nights in LA

Oh... there is another club called Vine Bar right down the street from 3 Clubs. Another cool spot is the Room on Cahuenga but it's sort of hard to find because it's in an alley way. It's small, dark but they play good hip hop not the top 40 kind. Concorde is right on Cahuenga too... and try Cinespace. It's a cool place, they play movies while you eat and they have a seperate dance floor. It's pretty decent.