We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stores exclusive to California

Which Los Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
302 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
Stores exclusive to California

What stores are exclusive to or originate from California?

For example, I think Ghiardelli chocolates are from San Francisco.

I would like to do some shopping while I'm there and also to bring back some souvenirs.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,522 posts
5,278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stores exclusive to California

Go to Scharfenberger Chocolate in Berkeley; absolutely great chocolate - nice tour, wonderful samples and a small store to buy from:

http://www.scharffenberger.com/factory.asp

Of course, wineries (over 5000 to choose from.)

Sourdough Bread - (I send a few loaves annually to friends since they like the bread so much). Boudins in Fisherman Wharf is a good choice to go to.

http://www.boudinbakery.com/

Of course, if any of your friends, are computer geeks...California is top in technology goods. Stop by the Apple Store in San Francisco

apple.com/retail/sanfrancisco/gallery.html

Apple originated in California....

Lots and lots of farm products come from California. You can spend a delightful day doing the Sonoma Farm Trails route buying goods from this and that place along the way

http://www.farmtrails.org/

Just a few to think of....

pa
Level Contributor
547 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stores exclusive to California

Not that this is on the subject but Oprah had one of her "favorite things" shows a few years back a place called Sprinkles for great cupcakes in Beverly Hills. I don't know where it is or even if it still is around but I will find it!! Its all about the baked goods!!

Hollywood, ca
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Stores exclusive to California

In LA, I think of See's Candies. They even have stands at LAX airport. The lollipops travel well. Great hostess gifts, or as takehomes. Have stores around LA. There are some great cheeses such as the ones from Cowgirl Creamery, Humboldt Fog. Also, California wine is much cheaper here (duh!). When I go home, I often stop by Trader Joe's and stock up on things, just because they're so much cheaper or better at Trader Joe's (an original California grocery store).

Level Contributor
302 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stores exclusive to California

Wow, thanks for all your help!

I checked out all of your suggestions and most of the stores you mentioned have locations in various parts of California.

Also, I checked Trader Joe's, and apparently they have a wine called Charles Shaw, which is supposed to be very popular in Cali'a? It's also supposed to have great chocolates?

Sprinkles cupcakes has two locations in Cali: one in Bevery Hills and another around Newport Beach.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,258 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stores exclusive to California

Sprinkles is in Beverly Hills on Santa Monica Blvd near Camden.

Charles Shaw, also known as Two Buck Chuck, used to be popular, now everyone uses it for cooking. You wouldn't dare show up for a dinner party with that wine in hand for your host.

Pinkberry is another idea - there are locations all over LA, it's a yogurt that has taken off like nothing I've ever seen.

California Chicken Cafe - locations around LA.

Of course, you can't bring back salads, cupcakes, and yogurt, but you can definitely bring back wine, and there are so many to choose from.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stores exclusive to California

Definitely check out the Fashion District in downtown. Here is the URL:

www.fashiondistrict.org

The district is very large. Santee Alley is the epicenter. Get a map beforehand to better orient yourself. Don't go on Sunday, since many shops are closed.

HTH. Happy shopping.

7. Re: Stores exclusive to California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, August 27, 2009