We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in LA..

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in LA..

We are a couple coming from India and coming to LA on 27th Feb 2017 from Vegas via Road..I have planned stuff but need some suggestions

1)Pls suggest a hotel around 200 dollars a night...

27th Feb-Arrive around 1 PM from Vegas.go to malibu

28th -Shall i consider doing Disneyland as i'll be doing Magic Kingdom in Orlando.If not what activity can i do for the day..

1st-Hollywood studios..how to go there as we'll not have a rental car.

2nd-Take a flight back to New Delhi in the afternoon.

27th-Leave in the morning for a day trip to LA

Pls suggest some other activities..

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in LA..

How will you get to Malibu without a car? There is only one bus that goes there, the 534, and it is not all that frequent. In addition Malibu is 20-25 miles long with no one "central" spot.

Besides Universal (which is more theme park than working studio) there are 3 other studios open to the public, Warner Bros in Burbank has the most frequent tours, also Paramount and Sony.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in LA..

I agree with 55vineyard that Malibu would not be a good choice. Malibu is a large rural suburb of LA. It does not have a well defined central area, so you can drive through the whole town and feel like you missed it. It is hard to see the expensive houses. There are some good areas for taking a walk (Malibu Creek State Park and Leo Carillo State Beach).

If you stay in Hollywood I think that you could get to a movie studio for a tour via public transportation. Universal Studios offers a tour of their back-lot as part of the admission into the theme park. Their tour is more like a theme park ride, but you do get to see the exteriors of some famous television/movie homes. A serious tour, like Warner Bros, requires you to be at their studio at a specific time, so you need to factor in the commute time. I would vote that you either go to Universal Studios or a serious movie studio tour during your time here.

For me, I would not go to Disneyland if I had already been to Disney World. Besides, it will be a challenge to get there without a car.

LA is big enough, with such a large number of things to do, that there are no key attractions that you have to do. What you select to do depends upon what interests you. I tend to focus on activities that are LA unique, like the movie studios, Universal Studios, the view from the Griffith Park Observatory, the Aquarium of the Pacific (will take a long time to get to via public transit), Hollywood (totally touristy), Santa Monica (nice to walk around; they have a large farmer's market on Wednesdays), gardens like those at the Huntington Library and Gardens (large and unique), Beverly Hills (just to walk through), and the Getty Center for the views. The evening that you do either Universal Studios or the serious movie studio tour, I would walk around Hollywood and see the tourist sites. I also might investigate the hop-on hop-off bus, since that can probably conveniently get you to places that you want to go.

Edited: 4:58 pm, December 01, 2016
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,987 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in LA..

I don't see 3 days.

Do you know how to use the features here on the forum? Use the full version, not app, and read our top questions. Every city has a top questions, our FAQs. That'll give you the broad strokes and a neighborhood from where to base yourself. At your price point, check Hollywood and Beverly Grove areas.

If you are relying on mass transit, you'll need to plot your trips, we cannot do this for you. So, find a studio tour you want to do from our things to do:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g326…

Every forum page has this great information, too. I'ts found along the top, green bar on the city forum page, along with hotels and restaurants. It'd be a good idea for you to look for hotels in that link, too.

On that first day, do your studio tour, the walk of fame, Griffith Observatory, LaBrea Tarpits.

You will not be able to enjoy Malibu for a couple of reasons: (1) it is rural - there is no central place to go, gathering places, or town square. We go to a specific beach, a specific hiking trail, specific anything for Malibu. It's rural and not very tourist-centric; unless you find a private tour (which you can find under things to do), you will not be able to enjoy Malibu.

Instead, from a Hollywood base, head towards the beachs via Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive. Use a rideshare (lyft or uber), or a Starline HOHO. Explore Rodeo Dr., or simply ride by. Your ultimate goal is Santa Monica. From here, consider a rideshare to either of the beautiful Getty museums: Getty Villa orGetty Center. If you have the desire to see Malibu, the Getty Villa will suit you well. Afterwards, rideshare back to Santa Monica, explore pier, 3rd St. Promenade, ride bikes along the beach bike path, too. You'll be able to use Metro, either bus or train, to get back to your lodging, or the Starline HOHO.

4. Re: 3 Days in LA..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 03, 2017