We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Long Beach

Which Long Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip to Long Beach

My flight gets to LGB at 8:00 AM but my flight back leaves at 3:00 PM. I really don't know why I booked a flight, I guess I just wanted to go some place else. I don't know what to do in Long Beach- I'm under 25 so renting a car wouldn't really be an option because I don't want to pay extra for underage fees.

I know there is an Aquarium over there that I will definitely be going to, but what else is there? I will be taking public transportation so the closer to the airport, the better.

Also, how is the weather over there? Is it just a light sweater kinda weather, or is it safer to wear something for warm weather?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

Plenty to see and do, I would explore Shoreline Village, take a bot or whale watching trip, have a meal, etc...

www.visitlongbeach.com

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,942 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

Long Beach has free bus to take you around the area....(not the airport but it will take you to the different tourist locations of Long Beach

www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Queen Mary is there - you might want to have lunch there.....

http://www.queenmary.com/

In terms of what to wear check the weather forecast that day.

www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0632

Right now as you can see no sweater needed.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

I agree with previous advice. You will be a little tight on time. I'd do the Aquarium and then either their harbor boat tour or try to get a whale watching boat ride nearby. You would need to verify if whale watching would be good during your visit, and if it works time-wise. It has a definite seasonal variation. I'd put the Queen Mary and the Russian submarine lower on my list.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

Once you consider the 'transfer time' between the airport and downtown, and the fact that you'll have to be back at the airport an hour before departure, you only have about 4 hours to explore. Here are some ideas:

Use the 'trip planner' section of Metro.net to find bus routes between the airport and downtown Long Beach. Just enter your starting and ending points on the right side of the home page along with your day of the week and time of day traveled and the site will offer transit suggestions.

Your starting point is : Long Beach Airport

Your ending point could be any number of points in downtown LB; I'd use: Transit Mall Station.

Get off at the stop that is adjacent to Transit Mall Station (the light rail station) which will be the corner of 1st St & The Promenade (a shopping mall) shelter C. The ride from the airport is about 40 minutes and costs $1.25. Here's a map showing this bus stop and various sites in downtown LB:

http://mapq.st/LTg0AD

The bus stop is at the top (point A).

Shoreline Village (point B) is an outdoor shopping center on the harbor.

Adjacent to the aquarium (point C) are a series of docks where you can catch short cruises of the harbor. There are also a number of popular restaurants. I'd get some food 'to go', walk over to Shoreline Park (point D, adjacent to the aquarium) and eat there with a view of the harbor.

Point E is the queen mary (former luxury liner which is now a fun museum as well as a hotel).

You could walk to all of these sites in 90 minutes but you'd probably want to supplement the walking with some local public transit. The Passport Bus connects all of these attractions and is free. Here's a map of its route:

www.lbtransit.com/Schedules/Default.aspx…

Note: the route to the queen mary (which is on the edge of downtown) is a little different than the return route from the queen into downtown.

With only 4 hours to spend, you won't have time for both the Queen and the Aquarium and since you've already mentioned the aquarium, you might want to focus your visit there.

If you want to be adventurous, you could head to the eastern part of Long Beach instead of downtown. (This area is actually closer to the airport than downtown is). Via the #111 bus, get off at the corner of Broadway and Ximeno Av (about 25 minutes from the airport) and walk south and east to the point where 2nd St & Livingston Drive intersect. From there, explore 2nd St to the east. Here's a map showing the route from the bus stop to the beginning of the 2nd Street neighborhood (point B) to its conclusion (point C).: http://mapq.st/1nsYMWX

You could walk in an easterly direction on the north side of 2nd Street and return along the south side of the street. If you have time, you can venture further east (past point "C") into Naples (the island to the immediate east of this neighborhood).

Cross the bridge and check out the canals that run throughout the island. Here's one possible route: http://mapq.st/1lzsmuK (point "A" is the former point "C" from the previous map. When you reach point "B" descend to the footpaths that run along the canals (they are shown as dashed lines in red just above and below point "B"). Follow the paths in a circular fashion and either retrace your steps to point "B" and then back to "A" and then back to the bus stop or curtail your exploration of the canals and return via another route like this one: http://mapq.st/1nsZvre

From this corner (point D), you can be back to LGB in 40 minutes via this route (2 buses, in succession):

Starting at 2ND ST/RAVENNA

Ride Long Beach #131 [marked 'REDONDO-TO WARDLOW STA'] heading west

To: REDONDO AV/PACIFIC COAST HWY NE corner Arrive: 01:30PM

Pay $1.25,

Walk to SE corner...

Transfer to Long Beach #176 bus marked ['LAKEWOOD AT HARDWICK'] heading east

To: AIRPORT/TERMINAL W Ar: 01:51PM

Pay $1.25

Ending at LONG BEACH AIRPORT

Also, in Belmont, is the small but cool Long Beach Museum of Art overlooking the ocean with a restaurant next to it with similar views. Further east (not too far from the bus stop for the #111 bus from the airport) is Belmont Veteran's Memorial Pier

If you like good, cheap food, I recommend Babette's Feast (restaurant) at the western end the Belmont Shore area where 2nd St crosses Livingston Bl. (great macarons, iced mocha drinks and sandwiches).

Here's a map with some of these things (this area is just to the west of the stretch of 2nd street on the first map)...http://mapq.st/1eP8tQj (point A is the bus stop for the 111 bus from the airport):

You can click-hold-and-drag the map to move it around.

Have fun!

Edited: 11:10 pm, February 11, 2014
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

The buses frim the airport to Downtown take forever, they stop about every few blocks. I would seriously consider taking a taxi to Ocean Blvd and Pine Ave, from there you can walk to hhe Aquarium.

If you just want to walk around the public areas of the QM it doesn't take much time.

Edited: 11:15 pm, February 11, 2014
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,046 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

The airport bus into downtown LB takes about 40 minutes and costs $1.25.

A taxi takes 20 minutes and costs about $28 (more, during 'rush hour). You must tell the driver to stay off the freeway or the ride will cost about $10 more since the route is longer.

If you take a taxi, each way, you'll save a total of 40 minutes and it will cost you $53.50 more (or more. with traffic).

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

The LB transit bus which runs in to the terminal runs only every 40 minutes. If you walk out to Lakewood Blvd they are every 20 minutes altho you lose some of that time by walking. The bigger issue is that the buses rarely run on schedule. If you want to track the buses they have an app for that, so you can see how long it will take for the next one to show. I would estimate more like an hour for the bus to Ocean and Pine, and 15 minutes for the taxi (you can use Google maps to test this yourself, try it at your estimated arrival time).

Only the OP can decide what the extra hour is worth. Or perhaps sit the baby and use the taxi in one direction.

Edited: 10:48 am, February 12, 2014
Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

With just 4 hours to kill, you might consider taking a cab to Belmont Shore area of Long Beach. It's main attraction is Second Street which is lined with shops, restaurants, bars, and people in as few clothes as the weather allows. Today it was 70ish. It's a short walk south from Second to Ocean Blvd and the ocean. I don't know how busy it will be, but it's the ocean.

Of course, you'd have to pass on the Aquarium, but the vibe is much younger on Second Street.

You can take the bus, which would include a transfer, and every time you add a transfer you have to add an additional 15-10 minutes to your commute.

Whatever you choose, have fun!

9. Re: Day Trip to Long Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 15, 2015