We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine purchases in Long Beach

Which Long Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Volcano, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Wine purchases in Long Beach

I'm going to be staying overnight at the Queen Mary before a cruise the next day. I know that I can take the Passport bus to shopping, but I don't see that the Walmart in the Pine Avenue area sells wine. Is there another grocery type store in the area that the Passport bus goes that sells wine? Which store? Thanks for any information.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

I can't picture any grocery stores along Pine and a google search doesn't pick up anything. There is a Vons store on Broadway that would have everything you need, but it's not on the Passport bus route. You'd have to call a taxi or maybe the hotel has some transportation option for you.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

There is a Von's Supermarket at Broadway and Atlantic.

Volcano, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

Do you know what bus route the Von's is on?

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

I am pretty sure that Walmart sells wine (all the other ones do) but that store is (hmm trying to think of a word that is appropriate???) really crappy.

You can also find wine at liquor stores (I believe there is one E. Broadway, and then one on Alamitos), and also pharmacy stores like CVS, or Rite Aid.

If I were you I'd ask the Passport drivers they would know where the closest place would be.

Food for thought: did, or do you know that there is a limit on what you can bring on board (alcohol related).

Volcano, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

Thanks for the info. Asking the driver is a great idea. Yes, Princess says that it the limit is one bottle of wine per person but they don't really regulate it and we've frequently brought 4+ bottles on board.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,237 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

Perhaps the concierge at your hotel could make a recommendation. If you have to take a taxi to whichever store you'd be shopping at, it won't be very expensive since the Queen is just 2 miles / 3.2 km from the downtown area. The supermarkets referred to above are about .3 mile further north -- so a taxi ride of about 2.3 miles (5 minute ride, fare of about $15).

Compare that to a Passport ride from the Queen to Pine & First St (19 minutes) followed by a 10 minute walk to one of the stores (ugh). Add to that, walking to the bus stop near the Queen, waiting for the Passport and then doing it all over again in the opposite direction with bags of bottled wine! That's over an hour in FREE transit (round trip) versus 10 minutes for $30.

Your choice!

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

The Von's in brand new--looks nice when I drive it. From looking at the transit map, you would have to walk from Pine Ave to Atlantic (east) on Broadway. Take it to Pine Ave to the Transit Center. Walk a block north to Broadway and turn right.

The Albertson's is closer to the transit--just two blocks east of Pine between fourth and fifth or the WalMart--which is marked on the transport map.

Volcano, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

Thanks to the destination experts for their great advice. It makes me a lot more comfortable that we should be able to get this accomplished!

Long Beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

The best places to buy wine are at the wine tasting shops in town because you can taste before you buy...

1. The Wine Crush on Broadway

2. District Wine on Linden

3. CA Wine Bar in Alamitos Bay

4. Au du Vin on 4th St.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine purchases in Long Beach

I dont know if you intend to purchase the wine and bring on your cruise but most cruise ship wont allow you to bring wine to your room. They will take it and you can pick it up when you are leave the ship. thats because they want you to buy their wine. enjoy your cruise. I was scheduled to leave tomorrow morning for a 4 day cruise from Long Beach, however I checked my flight and it has already been cancelled so there is no way to make it to the ship. And of course, I didnt get any insurance so that money is lost. I may be able to get the airfare back.