We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative things to do in LBC

Which Long Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alternative things to do in LBC

Hey everybody,

I was wondering what the fine folks of tripadvisor would recommend as far as off the path, youth-oriented culture spots in Long Beach. For example the East 4th neighborhood sounds cool, I thought Belmont shore was too gentrified, I'm down for street art, record stores, edgy museums, etc. I will be staying in Seal Beach and would like to check out what I can in LB as Seal seems to not hold much in this regard.

Also is it safe to take the metro (train) from downtown LA to Long Beach? I take BART through Oakland a lot and know that, while that system passes through tough areas, it's not unsafe at all. BUT LA is not a city I know and the blue line seems to pass through a lot of well-known sketch like Compton, for example. Just making sure it's safe. Thanks!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative things to do in LBC

Taking the Blue Line is safe, but as you pointed out, getting off at some stops might not be recommended by some.

Good news from the LA Metro, they are increasing night service on the Blue Line (along with the Red and Purple lines) to every 10 minutes 7 days a week.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative things to do in LBC

The Blue Line does go through some of the poorest areas of Los Angeles. During the day, safety probably isn't an issue. At one time, riding on the metro was on the honor system, i.e., you were suppose to buy a ticket and show it when asked for it. Transit police would do random checks for compliance. But--that process did result in a lot of homeless people riding until the transit police got on and they just got off at the other end of the train. Access was suppose to be changed, but it has been years since I have been on it. Note that for a good portion of the transit from Long Beach to LA is on the street--so it is a glorified bus.

You may want to check out the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach. A wide variety of art from artists from Latin America.

If you are stuck in Belmont Shore, you may want to check out the Acapulco Inn, it has been a young adult hang out for over 40 years. Another quaint beer bar that has been open forever in Long Beach, is Joe Jost's in Long Beach.

Fingerprints record store now in downtown Long Beach may be something you would be interested in.

For edgy LA, I think you may need to go to Melrose area, not downtown.

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative things to do in LBC

4th Street is your best bet. While most of the shops and bars are on Retro Row (from about Cherry to Junipero) ; there are other bars further east though it's a bit of a walk. Fingerprints, a local record/music store is on Elm which is a bit of a walk to Retro Row, but there is a small red bus, The Passport, which can take you from one end to the other for about $1.25 www.lbtransit.com. Also, closer to downtown, you can check out the Garage Theatre, a young local independent theatre group that puts on some great original shows. www.thegaragetheatre.org Also check out the First and Linden area, not as many shops, but can be fun anyway - there's House of Hayden - the cleanest dive bar you'll ever visit - just bring cash - no credit cards.

4. Re: Alternative things to do in LBC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 24, 2012