We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pronunciation...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Pronunciation...

Is it Vining as in winning or Vining as in dining?

Thank you.

162 replies to this topic
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pronunciation...

Always pronounced it like dining but maybe I'm wrong. I had more troubles with the right way to pronounce Tusayan....or Yachats ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pronunciation...

Are either of those two places on my California road trip?!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pronunciation...

No, they resp are in Az and Or.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pronunciation...

I pronounce it like grapes grow on a vine-ing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pronunciation...

So do I. But how does a guy who lives there pronounce it? That's the question.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pronunciation...

One does not need to live there to know how to pronounce it. Rhymes with "dining"

Dr. Z. (a native Californian)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pronunciation...

I don't think you understood my point. But that is of no consequence now. I thank you for the clarification.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,600 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pronunciation...

Many locals elide the first word, so it can sound like L'Vining.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,254 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pronunciation...

As in luh-vine-ing or el-vine-ing?

Goldfield, Nevada
Level Contributor
11,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pronunciation...

I have always heard it pronounced as "Lee Vine ing" rhyming with "free dining." But I don't live there.

Tuolumne is pronounced "Too WALL uh mee" with the emphasis on the WALL. The n is silent. Sing that old song "All of Me" as if it was "Tu...olu mne... Why not Tu olu mne..."

Tenaya, such as in Tenaya Lake or Tenaya Canyon, is "Ten EYE uh"

Yosemite is "Yo SEM it ee", four syllables, with the emphasis on the SEM, not "YO sem ite"

El Capitan is "Ell Cap i TAN" with a short i and a slight emphasis on the TAN. Not like "cap eaten," that's wrong.

Devil's POSTpile, as in Post, like the Post Office. Not "Pahst pile."

MOno Lake. both os are long, like in Mona Lisa. Not "Mahno Lake" as in Mononucleosis. MOno Lake. Almost like "No-no Lake" but with an M at the beginning.

Bodie is "Boh dee" with a long o.

Ahwahnee is "Uh WAN ee." Not "AH - WAH - NEE" with equal emphasis. The emphasis is on the WAN. "Uh - WAN - ee."

Merced has the emphasis on the "ced." "Mer - SAID."

Mariposa, the o is long. "Mare - uh - PO - sa."

Wawona, the o is long and emphasis on the WO. "Wah - WO - na."

Sequoia is "Suh kwoy uh" with the e just barely pronounced at all, almost like "Sick woy uh"

Visalia is "Vye SAIL ya."

Eureka is pronounced like "You're EEKA" but Yreka is "WHY reeka"

Mendocino is "Men doh SEEN oh"

Marin County is "Muh RIN."

Sausalito is "Saw suh LEE toh"

San Francisco is "San Fran SIS co" which is almost always pronounced correctly but avoid ever saying "Frisco," although "San Fran" is acceptable.

Alcatraz is "Al kuh traz" with the Al rhyming with Al Capone.

Santa Cruz is pronounced like "Santa Cruise"

All "San" and "Santa" cities and counties are pronounced with the short a, as in "San" and "Santa," not like "Sahn" or "Sahnta."

Monterey is "Mon tur ay"

Carmel is "Car MEL" with the emphasis on the MEL.

Point Lobos is "Point LOH bohs" with all os long and the emphasis on the LOH.

Cambria is "CAME bree uh" not "CAM bria." At least that's how I've always heard it.

San Luis Obispo has both O's long. Oh-bis-poh. I have heard the Luis pronounced either as Louis or Louie. Either one seems OK though Louis is a little more slang-like.

I pronounce Los Angeles as "Loss AN gel ess" with a soft g. Old timers might still say it like "Loss Angle ess" with a hard g, but that's rare now. The last e is barely pronounced. Sometimes you hear the last e pronounced long, like "Loss AN gel eez" but I consider that wrong. It's fine to just say "LA" as in "el ay."

All other "Los" places, like Los Banos, Los Gatos, Los Padres National Forest, use the long o, "Los" rhyming with "dose." But Los Angeles uses the short o, "Loss AN gel ess"

Pasadena is "Pass uh DEEN uh"

Catalina is "Cat uh LEEN uh."

Anaheim is "AN uh hime" with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Laguna Beach is "Luh GOO nuh Beach."

La Jolla, part of San Diego, is pronounced "Luh HOY uh." Not "La Jol uh" as in Jolly. The J is pronounced as an H.

The Cabrillo in Cabrillo National Monument is pronounced "Kuh BREE oh." Not "Kuh brill oh."

Mojave is "Moh HAW vee" with j pronounced as an h, and the emphasis on the HAW.

Blythe is pronounced as if it was "blithe" with a long i. I have heard some people say it as if it was "blith" with a short i and that's incorrect.

Barstow is pronounced "BAR stow" , last syllable rhyming with "low," not with "cow."

Las Vegas is usually pronounced correctly, "Loss VAY gus"

Phoenix is pronounced "FEE nix" and Sedona is "Suh DOH nuh"

Tijuana is three syllables, "Tee WAH nuh" although you often hear "TEE uh WAH nuh" in four syllables. There is a Tia Juana River, but the city's name is spelled Tijuana and it should be pronounced in 3 syllables.

Ignore Arnold Schwarzenegger's chronic mispronunciation of "California." It's Cal - i - for - nia. The "nia" is one syllable, not two as in nee-ya. And try to avoid saying just "Cali," as that is basically unheard of here, used by outsiders. Even "SoCal" is little used here, another appellation given by outsiders. It's fine to say "We just arrived from northern Cal" or "We just arrived from southern Cal" and they will understand. But I wouldn't say "SoCal" or "Cali" while within California.

Edited: 10:45 am, May 15, 2012
Reply to: Pronunciation...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted