We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bodie

Which Lee Vining hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Bodie

If you're going to or through Lee Vining in summer or fall, don't miss one of the world's "Ten Most Interesting Abandoned Places," a short side trip north.

http://www.sltrib.com/travel/ci_12037762

listverse.com/travel/…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bodie

I was looking forward to visiting Bodie while travelling to Las Vegas. IF the state does close this park what kind of access restrictions would be put in place ?

And if it does stay actually open after labor day in September it's times are 9am to 4pm. Does this mean no access to the site at all, or is it just the visitor centre and toilets that are closed.

I'm doing a rather long trip and would like to see it in the afternoon, but 4pm closure might be stretched to time.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bodie

Thanks for the tip about entering from Nevada side if this were to happen if the handful of legislators and governor of California go through with closing off our state park system.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bodie

There are a couple of back roads to Bodie. One is Cottonwood Canyon, which starts from Hwy 167 north of Mono Lake. The other is the old Aurora road from the NV side.

These are usually 4WD high-clearance.

The park website says that closure hours are "strictly enforced" to protect the historic resources, which could mean a varying degree of enforcement. Maybe gates, or maybe a resident staff that gets paid to guard the town and arrest trespassers.

I'm not sure even the Governator has thought out all of this very clearly. There are some very large state parks that don't lend themselves to night watchman type security. We shall see.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,969 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bodie

I seriously doubt they would shut the access roads down.They may shut down the Bodie Park itself, due to lack of funding to pay salaries.But you could see it from the fence,it just would not be the same.

I have travelled into Bodie from the three access roads I know about.The only time I needed high clearance was to drive thru the river coming in from the Nevada side.This was in the spring.

15. Re: Bodie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 12, 2009