We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Lancaster, California

Which Lancaster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mebourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Lancaster, California

I am trying to find how to travel by public transport from either LA airport or Anaheim to Lancaster, California. We are both older travellers from Australia, and are too nervous to drive in America but are happy to bus, train, etc to destinations. I need to get there for the 26th August and have about 6 hours between landing and needing to get there for an evening event.

6 replies to this topic
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,865 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Lancaster, California

believe it or not i used to live in lancaster...back in the 60's though...i believe there is a rail link from la union station to lancaster...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster_(Metrolink_station)

also, you need to post in the lancaster, california forum...not america, limburg province, the netherlands

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32607-i3186-Lanca…

Edited: 7:06 pm, May 05, 2011
Mebourne
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Lancaster, California

Thankyou. I have been trying to find a way for 2 weeks, contacting bus companies, rail, hotels in lancaster, etc to get some assistance. Will post in your recommended area and also look at your links. Will let you know if I am successfuly.

Thanks again

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Lancaster, California

Here is a tip for you. On Google maps many places which have public transport links (train/tram/bus etc) you can click on the train station and it will pop up with what services are listed for that station. So in Lancaster CA the train company is Metrolink

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

There is even a travel planner on there but to save you the trouble I did it for you

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&sspn=1.901945,4.229736&saddr=la+central&daddr=lancaster&ttype=dep&date=mm/dd/yy&time=hh:mm&dirflg=r

Route map also http://www.metrolinktrains.com/map/map.php

Train from LA Central takes over 2 hours though. From LAX it takes over 4 hours by Metro and then train to Lancaster. Probably someone on the LA forum would help you with a better way. I would say drive though.

Quite a coincidence that you post on a forum in The Netherlands and you can get an answer from someone who used to live there. And you being a Texan boy too steve.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,865 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Lancaster, California

ron, i was born in the peoples republic of california..but immigrated to texas as soon as i could...:-)

los an
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Lancaster, California

Southern Californians love the independence of their own automobiles, and there are very few public transportation options. You can take a taxi cab from LAX (Los Angeles Airport) to Union Station (train and bus station), about 30 minute drive and about $70 (US) fare. From there, the Lancaster Metrolink Station is the last stop on the Metrolink Rail's Antelope Valley Line from Union Station. The train departure times are limited, especially on weekends, and takes about 2 hours with 10 stops. Amtrack's Thruway Bus Line and Greyhound Bus Lines also stop at the Lancaster Metrolink Station.

The trick with the train or the bus options, is the limited train or bus departure times. Very doubtful that one would fall within your 6-hour time margin. If you absolutely cannot rent a car and drive, then it really would be best to arrive a day before your August 26th event. Otherwise there very likely will not be a train or bus within your 6-hour time frame.

Also, Anaheim is a farther distance with fewer options to Lancaster. LAX would be your best bet.

Lancaster, California Resident

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Lancaster, California

:-)

Warms the heart don't it?

Reply to: Travel to Lancaster, California