We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Is it Legal to do a vacation rental in this area? as i know its not allowed in some other place's such as Huntington's beach, Santa Monica ect ect

16 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

It isn't illegal in Santa Monica, you just can not rent less than 30 days. I've never heard of any restrictions in Huntington Beach and don't have any idea about Laguna Niguel, but I can't imagine it has a huge inventory.

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Illigal may have been a to strong of term, but its still not allowed and that was the point of why I'm asking, as I dont want to book a rental in laguna niguel for a week on Airbnb to find its not allowed. If you just google huntington beach and seal beach it comes up that its not alllowed short term rentals, for anyone else who may be looking.

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Illigal may have been a to strong of term, but its still not allowed and that was the point of why I'm asking, as I dont want to book a rental in laguna niguel for a week on Airbnb to find its not allowed. If you just google huntington beach and seal beach it comes up that its not alllowed short term rentals, for anyone else who may be looking.

M D
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Laguna niguel is a nice suburban city with a good quality of life. But it is not exactly a touist destination. I would be very surprised if the city found a need to enact or enforce rules the way the beach cities, san francisco, or new york are attempting.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

>>> If you just google huntington beach and seal beach it comes up that its not alllowed short term rentals, for anyone else who may be looking.<<<

Not quite accurate. Seal Beach does have a 30 day rule like Santa Monica, but Huntington Beach only has it in residential zones, in SP (Specific Plan) areas like Main Street Corridor and PCH (SP5) there are different rules. You just have to know where you are renting.

Laguna Niguel...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

The only issues you would have in Laguna Niguel would be in a condo complex or in a subdivision if someone complained to the board. I own a condo and a home in Laguna Niguel and both have restrictions on renting the property to someone for less than 30 days. I frequently have visitors at my house from other areas for days, weeks and months and have never had any issues with my home. I would think the chance of running into any problems would be greater at a condo, but still a very small chance. The city is not going to bother you, it will be the HOA board members and addressed to the owner of the property.

That said, Laguna Niguel has a large populations of families, our night life is pretty non-existent. Dana Point and Laguna Beach are close by, as well as Aliso Viejo for more drinking and dining options. For clean air, beautiful landscape and lots of open area, it is hard to beat Laguna Niguel.

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Thankyou to you all, you have been most helpful.

discjohn ....wouldn't it be funny if it was your property ive been looking at.

Laguna Niguel sounds lovely for what we are looking for and thats a bit of quiet before we travel back home we will have done all our busy part of the trip before in Vegas.

This is the one we are interested in

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/109155

Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

>>>>>there are different rules. You just have to know where you are renting.<<<<<

Dont you think thats why im on here asking.

Im sorry if my information was not quite accurate but i have found this that may help others.

(not on this area though)

http://cavrma.org/connect/resources/

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

I cannot imagine staying in the very suburban tract home Laguna Niguel area when you are in Orange County. You want to be as close to the beach as possible. Why waste time commuting and not being able to walk to the beach, shops, or restaurants?

As the airbnb place is a condo, there may be a homeowner's association covenant that prohibits sublease or short term rental. If I was a fellow condo owner, I'd sure as heck complain about itinerant rentals.

Edited: 11:15 am, May 30, 2014
Weston super Mare...
Level Contributor
47 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals

Its more of a vale for money thing PareoB the one's by the beach are expensive and frankly not as nice and as we have car hire we may as well use it.

But as you rightly say the condo and what rules there are that we are not being told about, is questionable.

Airbnb is a mine field as there is no restrictions on where you can book. I would have already book a very lovely house in Santa Monica if it hadn't been pointed out on here about the under 30 day rule.

Anyway that part of the trip is sorted now along with the Vegas part, its just this last part im sorting.

Reply to: Laguna Niguel vacation rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Laguna Niguel