We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Rome, Italy
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Hi guys,

A group of five of us are travelling from Australia to the US in late August to early September. We are spending around a week in L.A. and then off to Salt Lake City. We have around 3 days at the end of our trip and are really struggling choosing a place to spend these final days. Our thoughts are possibly Long Beach, Laguna Beach or San Diego (city or La Jolla??) or alternatively any place in California that you would recommend.

We range from 19 to 28 years old and would love to get in to the nightlife as well as chill out during the day but also have a few things to do/see so we don't get bored!

I'd really love any feedback on these places and your thoughts as to where you think would best suit us. We'd also like to keep the price as low as possible :)

Thanks so much!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,932 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Hi,

Are you flying home from LAX after your trip?

I ask because San Diego would be a good 2 hr. drive to the airport so might not be as convenient as some other cities depending on the timing of your flights.

San Diego(La Jolla is just part of the city)is a large city with lots to see/do and lots of places to stay in all price ranges.

Laguna Beach is a small upscale beach town with mostly high end accommodations.

Long Beach is mostly (to me) a place to visit the aquarium or the Queen Mary ship but not necessarily known for its beaches.

There are many other possibilities for beachy/surfer spots to stay that you haven't mentioned but the folks who live in LA or in Orange County will be the ones to tell you more about them. IF you decide to go to San Diego then I/we'll be happy to help you sort out lodging and activities.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

In case you aren't aware, the legal drinking age is 21. (You mentioned nightlife)

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Will you have a rental car???? That makes a BIG difference.

Skip Long Beach!

Laguna Beach is an artist community and rather up-scale. It has a nice little, quaint downtown area and a nice beach. However, you might get bored looking for more and more "nightlife".

San Diego gets my vote! You'll love it there! Again, it will be best to have a rental car.

Final thought: Cut out a couple days in L.A., rent a car and spend a night in Laguna Beach. Then go to San Diego and stay there 3 or 4 nights. La Jolla is on the north side of S.D. and is up-scale but worth visiting. It has beautiful coves and beach (Windansea).

www.sandiego.com/beaches/windansea-beach

Also, there are a few different and nice beaches in S.D., itself.

www.sandiego.org/what-to-do/beaches.aspx

I used to live in Newport Beach and San Diego, but I had to move back to South Florida. It is too cold in the winter for me in Southern California. However, I visit San Diego a couple times every year. It is my favorite city in the USA.

And if you are looking a moderately-priced, family-run motel, you must stay at the Dolphin Motel in Point Loma. It is right across the street from the fishing fleet and yacht basin. It is my home, now, in S.D.

http://www.dolphin-motel.com/motel.html

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60750-d119769-…

Just look at how highly it is rated on TripAdvisor!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,029 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Drop Long Beach from the list. It doesn't have what you seek , and barely has a beach.

Look into Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Beach. Will you have a car?

Edited: 11:06 am, June 02, 2014
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,168 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Laguna Beach was a quaint artist colony in the 50's and 60's. There is plenty of nightlife for three or four nights, more even, but as stated, with a 19yo in tow, that limits your options.

If this is truly the end of your trip, after LA the first time and SLC, then I don't think you want to go further south than Laguna Beach and I'd be more inclined to look at Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach.

If you were moving to So Cal, the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach is great, but there aren't any hotels there, so staying there isn't really an option.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Laguna Beach is more up scale and has a more laid back vibe. San Diego you can probably do in one to two days. Gas lamp quarter and PB would be your go to spots in San Diego for a night life with younger crowds. But as someone mentioned before, you must be 21 to enter bars

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

Long Beach is a great place to visit, lots to see and do, including the Aquarium f the Pacific, the Queen Mary and much more....

www.visitlongbeach.com

I would rather have a day in Long Beach than Laguna Beach... but don't miss San Diego.

8. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:07 am, August 23, 2014
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

As for the prior post, Long Beach is closer to Laguna Beach than San Diego.

San Diego (the city) is south of Orang County where Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are located.

Long Beach is in Los Angeles County, but near the border and close to Huntington Beach and nearby Seal Beach.

If you wanted to me to rank, I like the San Diego County areas of places like Pacific Beach/Mission Beach, Oceanside, Carlsbad and Imperial Beach at the top of the list.

Then in Orange County, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and Seal Beach.

For LA County, Long Beach, Palos Verdes and Redondo Beach.

10. Re: Long Beach, Laguna, San Diego ?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:38 am, August 23, 2014