We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Input needed

Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Input needed

We are spending a long weekend in Laguna Beach this summer. Then we are spending 4 more days visiting family in Fullerton. I want to move to a closer hotel, but still feel like we are on vacation. Any ideas for a nice hotel/area close to Fullerton? Thank you

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Input needed

Please don't get the impression that staying in Anaheim means staying on Disneyland Resort property. There are a lot more choices in Anaheim than the Disney Grand Californian at Disneyland Resort as well as down the street in just over the border in Garden Grove.

In fact, the area also has a convention center and a major league baseball stadium. There is a nice Hyatt in Garden Grove. There are two Ayres Hotels in the area one in Anaheim and one in Orange next to Anaheim (closer to Angels Stadium). If you prefer to be in a hotel that is not full of kids, Orange might be a good idea. Although I doubt you will be able to get away from families in the summer anyplace in Orange County.

Perhaps you could mention what is your idea of feeling like you are on vacation. Lots to do or peace and quiet? Luxury and/or good service?

Don't know why empty nesters would mean not going to a theme park. Plenty of people over 50 and 60 even go to Disneyland. I've even seen elderly people on their own there.

You mighy look into the Hyatt Huntington Beach.

Edited: 1:03 am, March 29, 2013
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Input needed

Is this going to be anytime around the 4th of July? Just asking because there is a lot happening in Huntington Beach then.

Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Input needed

I love reading everyone's input. We are now looking at the Marriott Courtyard at Disney. And we might as well be big kids and walk around the park! We wanted to stay on a budget because the Laguna Beach hotel will use most of our money! Thanks again, it's always enlightening in the forum!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Input needed

Well -- That's a pretty expensive "walk around ($87 each)." If you aren't interested in spending the day at DL and experiencing its attractions, you can just go to Downtown Disney, where you can "walk around" for free or Anaheim Garden Walk, or go shopping at Outlets at Orange. Downtown Fullerton is really cute and so is Old Town Orange.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Input needed

Just to be clear, the Marriott Courtyard is not in Diseyland Resort (most locals commonly refer to it as Disneyland, usually not Disney). It is in the section of Anaheim known as Anaheim Resort which surrounds Disneyland Resort.

I think that is you want to just walk around Disneyland Park and partake of very little of the attractions it can be worth the price of admission because there is plenty of entertainment. every day in the summer. There are jazz bands in New Orleans Square (one that plays at a restaurant and one in the streets), the old fashioned Disneyland marching band (various set venues in the morning), the Dapper Dans Barbershop Quartett, possibly the All American College Marching Band and maybe the Voices of Liberty. All parades, fireworks, and Fantasmic. On some summer nights there is dancing. The attractions you should be able to get into easy are such things as the Mark Twain Riverboat, the Enchanted Tiki Room, the Disneyland Railroad, and Mr Lincoln. You might enjoy walking around Tom Sawyer's Island. Just some ideas.

Edited: 3:13 pm, March 30, 2013
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Input needed

I forgot to mention the bluegrass group Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, who will be playing in either the open air Big Thunder Jamboree or the Golden Horseshoe. They are very popular and if I leave them off the list someone is sure to come and scould me!

Right now the Jump, Jive, Boogie, Swing party is still in Downtown Disney in Saturday nights, but Disneyland officials promised they would come back into the Park, so it's possible they could be in the Park by summer. There is and Elvis Tribute that will be scheduled some weekends in the Tomorrowland area of the Park. Check the website for Scot Bruce to find out when he and his band will do that.

If you want to spend less money, Knott's Berry Farm is close and has a great ice skating show for the summer. Also, Knott's Market Place does not charge admission.

Edited: 3:55 pm, March 30, 2013
17. Re: Input needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 01, 2014