We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 hour Layover

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenwich, London
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
16 hour Layover

Hi all,

Visited Lauguna last year and LOVED it. We are going to Hawaii this year and on the way back land at LA at 6am. Our flight back to London is at 10pm. Do you think it's feasible to visit my beloved Laguna in that time?

Thanks

Yesh

X

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 hour Layover

OK, let's think about your flight back to London, who soon does your airline want you to check in, I presume at least 2 hours on an International flight, and then to add a safety margin, lets say get back to LAX at 7 PM.

Your flight might arrive early or late, and then you have a luggage issue... If your luggage can be checked through to London, no big deal, otherwise you are stuck with the luggage for the day. There is nowhere to store luggage at LAX, so the best option would be to rent a car, so now you have to add the time to rent the car, and check it back in on the way back.

You don't mention which day of the week it is, but if it is a weekday, you will be getting on the freeway during the morning rush hour.

What do you want to do in Laguna Beach. I would maybe just take the Coastal highways/roads from LAX to Laguna Beach, it would take a couple of hours, but without many stops, you could get to Laguna Beach by 10 AM, maybe a bit later.

I would want to leave Laguna Beach around 4 PM to deal with the afternoon rush hour (weekdays). I would take the Freeway back, get onto the I-405, and if you have at least one more person in your car, use the carpool lanes.

Here is a nice map that shows the coastal route with the recommended detours (The Palos Verdes/Point Vicente views and the Balboa Ferry)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c174834/Califo…

But yes, sounds doable.

Greenwich, London
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 hour Layover

Thank you for your prompt and detailed reply!

It is a Wednesday and we would be renting a car. I guess I could see how the flight to LA goes and take it from there. But 6 hours in Laguna sounds good to me if we arrive by 10 and leave at 4. We are flying to the UK so 2 hours before... I can't remember if checking in online allows you to arrive later at the airport or not, need to find out!

Thanks again!

Yesh

X

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 hour Layover

As far as checkin goes, if you can manage to get your bags checked through to your final destination before and not have to collect them at LAX, that would be the best thing to do and then you just need to check the TSA wait times for security and use that as a measure to get to the airport.

But I have another suggestion. If you are coming in on a redeye Wed morning, unless you had a late late checkout or booked the room through Wed, you would have left your hotel on Tuesday afternoon in HI and then you are flying all night on Wednesday to London. I think there are hotels such as the Travelodge at LAX which allow for shorter booking durations that may be best to use when you get into LAX. You can then rent a car and drive to LB and if it is after 9, your drive will be shorter.

Alternatively you could find a hotel in LB but it won't be that cheap.

Edited: 7:25 pm, March 18, 2013
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,205 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 hour Layover

I wouldn't add the stress of traffic into your trip. You'll be out of the airport at about 8 a.m. and have to be back at 7 p.m. (You need to check in 3 hours early for an International flight). I suggest a day in Santa Monica instead of Laguna Beach. Lots of restaurant choices, rides on the pier, shopping on Third Street Promenade, and the new SM mall, take in a movie there if you wish. And if you can check your bags, forget the car. The Big Blue Bus will take you from the LAX Transit Center (take the C shuttle there) to the SM pier in 30 minutes.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 hour Layover

logically, you should pick somewhere closer (like santa monica) BUT, i love laguna beach too. so as long as you are aware of the traffic times / issues and realize you will be really tired go for where you love.

6. Re: 16 hour Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 21, 2014