We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Revelstoke, B.C.
Level Contributor
366 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Always been fascinated with Laguna Beach. I will have one full day to explore and hang out.

Was originally considering going on a whale watching tour, but am thinking it might be better to just stroll in and around Laguna.

Thoughts?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

I am a fan of a Whale Watching trip, they don't take all day, so you could do both. Dana Point has some great tour, just south of Laguna Beach, so start your day there, then head up to Laguna Beach after the tour.

Revelstoke, B.C.
Level Contributor
366 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

That was the exact plan. Just hate being too rushed.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Try Capt Daves tour in Dana Point.

www.dolphinsafari.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

"Strolling" in Laguna Beach all day could get VERY expensive. With hundreds of galleries and shops, you are bound to succumb to opening your wallet a few times.

If you have an interest in whale watching, by all means do it. End the day at a nice Laguna Beach restaurant.

Revelstoke, B.C.
Level Contributor
366 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Maybe I could do the early whale watch, then hit Laguna for a quick tour and sunset, which will be early in Jan, like 5pm, which is way not enough time....

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Las Brisas would be a nice place for a sunset dinner in Laguna Beach! :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Whale watching! I mean, how often do you get the chance to see a whale??? I love to go - it's an awesome experience. There is no comparison.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,812 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Whale watching is fun! Capt. Daves sounds great.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

Agree with Darkbeer, Dez40 and LS Cats----Do the Dolphin safari. Great whale watching (although I, myself, prefer the dolphins, which come with the territory) on a totally unique catamaran with an underwater pod. Follow the link that Dez posted and it will give you the history of their sightings for the dates you want so you will know what you are apt to see on your trip. Don't know your dates but if you are in Laguna on the first Thursday of the month they have the First Thursday Art Walk where the Galleries (and many of the stores) stay open late, many galleries with free beverages and hors d'oeuves, and shuttle busses to take you around town and it's all free and sort of takes on the personna of a big block party for the downtown area. As long as you don't buy that 500 lb. bronze you see over in the corner of the gallerie (which is both hard to pack and a BIG baggage charge!) the expense should be manageable. :-) .

Disagree with Syrahgirl regarding Las Brisas. While great views, those same (or better views) are available for free from the strolling path at Heisler Park---just about where the shuttle for the Art Walk picks you up. Locals know this and don't spend their money on the food and poor service at Las Brises. For a better sunset view go to the Beachcomber Cafe at Crystal Cove. Better food, sitting right on the sand and nothing but 25 miles of Pacific Ocean between you and the sun setting directly behind Catalina Island.

www.firstthursdaysartwalk.com

www.thebeachcombercafe.com

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One full day. Hit the Laguna, or go whale watching.

BTW, if you want an exact sunset time for your date try sunrisesunset.com. Put in zip code 92651

Edited: 6:24 am, September 19, 2012