We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tide pools

Level Contributor
669 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Tide pools

I'm coming to Laguna for a break before I have spinal fusion surgery. Since I have back issues, it is difficult for me to walk up steep inclines. I can do some stairs but not 1,000 steps! Can you recommend a good tide pool area with easy access? Thanks!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,662 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tide pools

We went to the tide pools at Dana Point, just off the Marine Institute area. I think there were 20-30 steps (can't remember but no where near 1000!) from parking lot to beach area. I saw a starfish right near the bottom of the stairs and there were tide pools further up the beach. Make sure you go during low tide.

Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,451 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tide pools

Like Casa Azul said, the tidepools are just behind the marine institute in Dana Point Harbor.Its flat from the parking area to the stairs, then just a very short section of stairs.Maybe 20??

While you are there, check out the marine institute. Its an educational facility for school kids, but is very cool even for adults.

If you want a nice whale/dolphin tour, Capt Daves is just across the bay.

Orange, Calif
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tide pools

Little Corona Del Mar Beach. The walk downs not to bad. Google Maps will lead you there.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tide pools

There are many tidepools in Laguna Beach that don't require major hikes or stairs. At the North end of Main Beach, at the Montage, and at Monument Point. At Main Beach you only have to walk on the beach, at The Montage there are stairs and a ramp. This tidepool requires no climbing up and down since it is a flat surface.

Remember to check the tides! I hope you have a great trip!

5. Re: Tide pools

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 29, 2013
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now