We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 21 year old son

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Traveling with 21 year old son

Would love some recommendations on where to stay with 3 adults.

Husband, myself and 21 year old son while traveling to Laguna beach between Christmas and New Years.

Level Contributor
35,249 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

What is your budget for lodging? We have enjoyed stays at The TraveLodge, Casa Laguna Inn, Hotel Laguna and The Montage in Laguna Beach. There is nice lodging for every budget in Laguna! :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

Much more appropriate than the above for a 3-some including a 21 year old son would be the Hilton Suites in Dana Point …hilton.com/en/…

or Laguna Cliffs Marriott www.lagunacliffs.com/resort_suites/index.asp

Both of the above offer suites, where your son can be in a separate room. Also, the location is near good surfing beaches, that might interest your son.

I don't know of any hotels in Laguna Beach proper that offer suites. You would have to either crowd in together or get a second room.

You might also check the Marriott Newport Coast Villas, where you can get a 2 bedroom suite marriott.com/hotels/…

As for Casa Laguna -- It is a small room hotel appropriate for couples and singles. Hotel Laguna is a dump with old poorly maintained rooms at a high price.

The Montage is for those with no budget whatsoever.

Edited: 2:03 pm, August 20, 2012
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

thanks for your input. I will look into both the hilton property and the Marriott property. You are on the right track as we do want a separate living space for our son as we all enjoy our privacy. A second room although do able would not let us all be together. I was hoping for someplace in Laguna where we could walk to beach. Have visited Dana Point in the past and does not have the same feel as Laguna.

So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

You don't mention a budget but take a look at

http://www.theretreatinlaguna.com/

Also, The Riviera Hotel has a cottage and studios. There are some other cottages with studios in town. Check out the tourism website for Laguna Beach and I'm sure you'll find other properties that have very workable rooms for 3 adults. You won't be the first who has stayed in Laguna Beach with 3 adults comfortably. I know the overrated overpriced musty dumpy Surf & Sand has a flat, so you just need to look at individual properties.

I would not stay at the Doubletree in Dana Point. You have the railroad tracks right there AND the PCH freeway on ramp to the 5. That's not my idea of a holiday or vacation.

BTW, Syrahgirl is a vacationer here and would have a better opinion of what the hotels are like than locals, since she actually has stayed in them. I only have the personal experience with the Surf &Sand since we stayed there for a wedding in town to avoid DUI.

Will you be here for the entire week? If so, I'd look into vacation rentals.

Have a great trip!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

You may also want to check out Sunset Cove Villas http://www.sunsetcove.com/

They have great reviews.

los angeles
Level Contributor
240 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

If you're going to opt for Dana Point, you could get two rooms at the Blue Lantern Inn.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

Here's one I forgot about that has one and two bedroom apartments: The Pacific Edge pacificedgehotel.com/laguna-beach-rooms.aspx

It's a little tacky looking but is well managed by Joie de Vivre Hotels.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

Thank you so much. The Retreat at Laguna looks perfect for our needs. Will inquire with them regarding availability.

9. Re: Traveling with 21 year old son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 23, 2013