We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Englishman needs advice....

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
An Englishman needs advice....

My family and I are looking to book our holiday in California around July for 2 weeks. We want shopping malls, sun, tennis, holiday homes with a pool and good restaurants. Is this Laguna Beach?

If not where is it?!

Please help, Nick, London, England

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

As someone that does more than "just sit there and watch" I'll comment on Tom's court suggestions: The high school courts I already mentioned. The problem with the courts on the Peninsula is that, being right near the beach, they tend to get a light coating of sand blown on them which makes them slipery and a bit dangerous. (That's one reason that they are often empty.) IMO, the best public courts in laguna are at the park in the 'Top O' the World' area (reached by driving up Nye Place). They also may provide some of the best views you will ever experience from a tennis court.

I've asked and I still don't know if this group is looking to pick up matches with others, the number in the group and the level that they play at. Various levels of players tend to show up at various locations and the wait time to pickup a match will vary. There are some very nice public courts in Newport on San Joaquin Hills and about Margaurite right next to the Lawn Bowling Club and their courts. In case you'd like to add that sport to your schedule. :-)

I've played tennis for more than 35 years, run two tennis clubs, am certified and trained by the USTA to rate players as to the level of play. I've also taken members on tennis tours on numerous occassions to various locations around the US (both to play and attend matches). I've worked more than 60 pro tournaments over the years and I've played both tournaments and 'hit and giggle' tennis at most every court location in Newport over the last 20 years. With more info I may be able to narrow some of this down for you.

BTW, the head pro at the Marriott Hotel and Spa is a former tourning pro who was recently ranked #1 in the USTA Men's 60's. The Marriott tennis staff will make matches between hotel guests if you ask although there is no kitchen there as there as there is at Newport coast Villas. Park Newport Apartments (walking distance to Fashion Island) is available on short-term rental from the Oakwood Corporate Housing site. Eight tennis courts, pro shop, 7 swimming pools, gym, overlooking the 'Back Bay' fully furnished. Maybe that would work for you.

Edited: 12:17 pm, June 27, 2012
12. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:07 pm, July 17, 2012
Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

I'm an Englishman and I stayed in Laguna Beach for two weeks in 2007. I'm going back there this summer because, well, it's probably my favourite place in the entire world.

Having said that, it's very expensive and you'll be paying a small fortune for somewhere with a tennis court and swimming pool in July. If you have deep pockets, then you'll be able to get it done.

14. Re: An Englishman needs advice....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 03, 2013