We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

Hi there!

My husband and I are planning a last-minute four-day getaway (sans kids) and would like to spend this rare time together at a beach location somewhere in California.

Traveling from Denver, we are looking for a destination where we can relax and also have some fun - drinks and a nice dinner (no clubbing - we're in our mid-40s).

I've been researching San Diego, Santa Barbara and have looked at Laguna Beach a little. We're trying to find a mid- to high-end hotel either on the beach or with a full ocean view, within walking distance to restaurants and bars, with a nice pool and hopefully an onsite restaurant for room service.

I'm looking at the Surf and Sand Resort, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.....is there a town/city I'm not thinking of? A gem of a hotel or resort I haven't stumbled upon yet??

Thanks so much for any feedback!!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

I think the Surf and Sand would be a perfect choice. Right on the sand, relaxed, good restaurant, walking distance to Laguna Beach Village, nice pool, a spa and great service.

There is always the Montage, the Ritz Carlton and the St. Regis, They are all spectacular but VERY expensive and a bit over the top snobby in my opinion. However, the view from the lobby bar at the Montage is spectacular enough that it's worth a stop for a glass of wine in the early evening before sunset.

You might also want to consider the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach, a beautiful hotel across the street from the beach with great views, a good restaurant, wonderful spa and really fantastic pools.

Remember that Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente are all adjacent to each other and it is easy

to enjoy several wonderful beach towns while visiting the Orange County Coast.

San Diego and Santa Barbara have great resorts too. The locals on those boards can help you with locations there.

Edited: 11:41 pm, August 08, 2011
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

Surf and Sand would be good, but the Inn at Laguna Beach would be a better location.

The Canary in Santa Barbara would be great as well, Fess Parker's as an alternative.

Level Contributor
34,207 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

The Montage is a great place to stay in Laguna Beach. It is in a beautiful setting and the pool there is awesome! Check out the www.lagunabeach.com website for some good deals and great info on the area. Have fun! :)

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

I agree with scott that the Inn at Laguna Beach is a great location. Just make sure that you are guaranteed a beach side room rather than a highway side room. You can park the car and walk any place in the village that you want to, including the beach.

I also agree with Cats that the Montage is worth a stop at the bar and that it's very expensive. IMO, it's way over priced for what you get in regards to the rooms or restaurants.

Also, the Montage is removed from the village. You would need to drive there and parking in Laguna can be tight if it's before Labor Day.

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

I am in your age group and my two favorite places to stay in Central to Southern California are Santa Barbara and Laguna Beach. I think the Surf and Sand is beautiful. It is also expensive but you will find that you aren't dealing with as many young kids if you are trying to do an adult weekend. When we went to Santa Barbara, we stayed at the Canary Hotel. It is not on the beach, but they have a beautiful roof top pool with fireplaces and chairs that have a great view. We have also stayed at the Biltmore which is a stunning hotel in Monecito. It is expensive but worth every penny. Like Laguna, Santa Barbara is a walking town and very pretty. You cannot go wrong with either place. We go back to both frequently.

Arvada, Colorado
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

Wow, thank you all so much for the feedback and great suggestions! Still trying to decide, and your input really helps :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
26,514 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

you could also consider the hotel del coronado , a beautiful hotel right on the sand, and located in a small little beach town, coronado island in San Diego

http://www.hoteldel.com/

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

The Hotel "Del" has its fans but I'm not one of them. I think it is a rip-off. Being 100 years old doesn't justify the tab. And the old rooms have paper thin walls. (There is a new tower with better rooms -- less the "historic charm") I'd far rather stay at the Loews Hotel in Coronado, next to the Del.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,878 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

I am a fan of the Hotel del Coronado, especially the Victorian building because I stay in cookie cutter, corporate all the time. It isn't often you really unique experiences in travel. That is one reason I stay at the Brown Palace in Denver.

And 'Cats, do you really mean the Loews? It is no where near the Hotel del and while it might have a Coronado address, since it isn't walkable to anything on Coronado Island, I would never stay there to sight see. If I stayed there, it would be to never leave the hotel.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: California Beach getaway with Hubby - but Where??

Scott -- You are right about Loews. I looked up it's web site and it is out on its own, not what I was thinking of. Nonetheless I would probably pick it over the Del.

I can tell you that many years ago my family booked a room at the Del. There was a convention going on and it was so noisy we couldn't sleep at all. The room was also very tiny with pipes running across the ceiling. The next day, we left and moved across the road to the Glorietta Bay Hotel and they gave us a room in what is now referred to as the "mansion." I believe it was once one of the Sprekles mansions. It was quite elegant. After that we became regulars there, usually renting their more modern studio type rooms.

Like I said, the "Del" has its fans and if you are willing to pay the price and like old classic hotels, it may be your taste. I like my antiques in museums and prefer to sleep in modern rooms.

Get answers to your questions about Laguna Beach