We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

Hi there!

We are coming from Australia to see a concert in irvine and we don't really know where to stay in orange county.

It appears that Newport / Huntington / Laguna are the 3 most popular tourist destinations. We were thinking of laguna, because I heard that newport is too spread out (we are rushed for time, and don't have a car) so it is very very important that we stay in an area downtown that is walkable and shops and restaurants etc are close together.

Would laguna then be the best option? (A side note, we don't really care for art galleries, but we DO care for shopping, restaurants and sights). Is newport really spread out? Is it more of a driving city than a walking city? How about huntington? We really just want a classic orange county experience.

Your help would be very much appreciated!

Sam

Level Contributor
37,627 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

The Hotel Laguna is very central to Forest Ave where you will find lots of great restaurants and shops. This hotel is located right on Main Beach. You will have your own private stretch of beach at this hotel where they have lounge charis and food and beverage service for hotel guests.

www.lagunabeach.com is a nice website for this area. 230 Forest and Sundried Tomato Cafe are two of our favorite restaurants by the Hotel Laguna. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Main Beach
Main Beach
474 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
Sundried Tomato Cafe
Sundried Tomato Cafe
73 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
springfield, mo
Level Contributor
388 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

You would like any of these areas. In my opinion, Huntington has a younger feel but does have a ton to do in a very condensed area. There are restaurants and shops all right off main street. There is also a new Shorebreak Hotel on the beach as well. Laguna is another great walking town. There is a ton to see and lots of restaurants. There are lots of hotels in the downtown area, you will just have to determine what fits your needs and budget. Newport will be the hardest just to stay and walk. It is a great area. It is more spread out with pockets of places that have great shops and restaurants. Balboa Island is nice. I think Huntington or Laguna will be easier if you are short on time.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

syrahgirl, thank you for your reccomendation, I will check it out. We are both students so we are looking for somewhere affordable, no frills etc. Are there any such places near downtown? What is the main street of shops in laguna?

Swanney, thanks for your help. You mention Laguna and Huntington are great walking towns, is Newport just out of the question when it comes to getting around on foot? How does the scenery of newport and laguna compate to huntington?

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
388 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

Laguna is a beautiful town. It has a lot of art galleries and some high end shops mixed in with your basic beach shops. Huntington is a true beach community. This is where my girls, ages almost 20 and 18 want to go when we travel to California. They find it fits their personalities best and has the most shops and restaurants they like. We love Newport Beach. You can stay near the Boardwalk and bike and walk around that area and take the ferry over to Balboa Island and make a day of of it. There are shops and restaurants there that are laid back and fun. We haven't actually stayed in hotels in that area. We usually rent a condo for the wee. If you look at trip advisor for that specific area, they can give you hotel listings and you can decide what fits your budget. I know there are several. We do as much as possibly can to minimize our car use while we are there. The traffic can be brutal, as well as the parking. You really can't go wrong. If you haven't see any of these areas, you will love them all. Southern California is my favorite place to visit. We go back every year.

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

From your HB Forum post it appeared that you were looking for something on the high end of the accommodations spectrum but since I now see that you are looking for a "no frills" ("value") oriented place, and you are students, I would suggest one of the smaller inns in either Huntington Beach or Laguna Bach.

The Holiday Inn Laguna Beach gets very good reviews and is well located near the village and the beach. Casa Laguna and Pacific Edge are also very nice. I do not care for the Hotel Laguna as it is very tired, the rooms are small and the prices are high for what you get (the hotel's web site is actually pretty accurate -- sadly).

In Huntington Beach, the Best Western Huntington Beach is nice and the newly renovated Surf Inn has a fun surf atmosphere with good amenities..

Edited: 4:46 pm, July 24, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
Holiday Inn Laguna Beach
Holiday Inn Laguna Beach
534 Reviews
Laguna Beach, CA
6. Re: Laguna, Newport or Huntington? This Aussie needs help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 09, 2012