We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laguna or santa monica

dallas,tx
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
laguna or santa monica

we are coming in the middle of september for 3 nights only. we have family 30 miles north of LA and will stay with them the first part of our trip. which do you think is a better California experience Laguna or santa monica. Santa monica would be much more conveneient but I don't know if it is as prettey as Laguna is supposed to be. I really want some great topagraphy. the 2 hotel choices are fairmont miramar ocean view in Santa monica. or Laguna Inn. I have to decide pretty quickly to get a spot...please help

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,354 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laguna or santa monica

I think you're talking two totally different experiences here. Santa Monica is more of a "see & be seen" area. The pier is nice, but we found the beaches to be too wide to be enjoyable. We enjoyed driving up into the Topanga mountains and around the Hollywood hills, but our preference is the Laguna Beach area with the beautiful parks for hiking. The beaches there are nicer in our opinion, with a lot of tide pools to explore. The shopping in Santa Monica is pretty up-scale, whereas Laguna Beach is more artsy and boutiquish. The wide variety of restaurants in Laguna Beach make it a good choice. Also, one of the draws in Laguna Beach is the small-town feel; it's great for walking and browsing. Hope this helps!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,922 posts
6,059 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: laguna or santa monica

Given your word "typography" I'd choose Laguna.....over Santa Monica. Only thing that would make a difference what day activities you want to do other than the beach areas..

For example, Downtown Disney, Newport, Huntington Beach - choose Laguna. Universal Hollywood, Farmer's Market, Ghetty Museum, etc. choose Santa Monica. If just typography though choose Laguna. You'll have a great time.

dallas,tx
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: laguna or santa monica

Thank you for the replies so far. Sorry I misspelled convenient and topography, I was tired. I did however mean "topography" I am looking for a really beautiful atmosphere.

southern california
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laguna or santa monica

call me biased cause i live here but for beauty....it's laguna hands down!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,922 posts
6,059 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: laguna or santa monica

dames123 - no - my apologies - I misspelled it.....when I wrote it. Oops....in either case Laguna is best.

dallas,tx
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: laguna or santa monica

Thanks again. I'm going with Laguna...Good, now I can finally stop biting my nails. Next question. I was going to reserve at the sand and surf? sun and surf? in the tower with corner room. All other great places were too expensive or booked. Do you all think it's good. It's still pretty pricey.

southern california
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laguna or santa monica

yes it is nice...they have a great spa and we enjoy having an occasional breakfast in their restaurant.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: laguna or santa monica

Stay at the Inn at Laguna. The Surf and Sand is too far from town.