We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in mid-April?

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in mid-April?

We will be staying in Laguna Beach (at the Laguna Riviera) for 2 nights 18th & 19th Aprril next year before we fly home to the UK.

What kind of weather might we expect? Is the sea likely to be warm enough to go in? I fancy a dip in the Pacific before flying home, since I don't know whether I'll ever be back again :-/

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in mid-April?

I highly doubt it. It will still be wet suit season unless we have an unusual heat wave. But this doesn't stop the locals during spring break from going into cold water sans wet suit. Since you wont be back again...I say go for it...and you probably wont be alone either. If the weather is warm...people WILL be in the water just not on the same scope as summer.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in mid-April?

Using this year as a guide (2007) the water temp. in April was still in the 58 to 60 degree (F obviously) range. Too cold for me without a wet suit but my daughter and her friend were in. At that temp. and without a wet suit it is more of a dip just to say you were in the Pacific than an extended swim. The air temp. can be quite warm however.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in mid-April?

DaviesUK, I travelled from Oxford, England for a two week holiday in Laguna Beach. We were there from 1st to 15th April 2007.

The weather was mixed. I don't remember it raining at all (i.e. quite different to our weather in the UK!), but it was grey about 50% of the time. It was still warm enough to need shorts, even when the sun wasn't out. I'd say it was about 20 centigrade on such days.

However, the other 50% of the time was nice and warm. It probably got up to about 26 centigrade. We came back with very nice tans, having spent a lot of time on the beach.

Being brave Brits - and being used to the freezing waters of British coastal resorts like Bournemouth - we enjoyed going in the sea, but a lot of the locals thought we were mad; it was pretty cold to be honest.

In the evenings, you might need a jumper/sweater, but definitely not a coat.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
124 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in mid-April?

Thanks, everyone! I't seems like I'll be able to go in the sea, I think, just so I can say I have:-)

D-UK

5. Re: Weather in mid-April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:35 am, September 10, 2009