We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ritz carlton or montage

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york. ny
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
ritz carlton or montage

I,m planning a trip to Laguna Beach. I cannot choose between Montage or Ritz Carlton which is half the price. Money is not an object. Has anyone stayed in both of these hotels who could shed some light. I'm travelling with my wife and 2 kids (4 & 6)

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ritz carlton or montage

Never stayed at them but we live close and visit often. Both are super high service, probably the best service you will ever get in a hotel. The Ritz is high on a cliff with a fabulous view over looking a very busy popular beach that is a little hike down to get to. The Montage is also in a very scenic location, but the area and beach are much more private. The montage has the better pool because it faces the ocean. The Ritz has more of a hotel look, were the Montage is more of a bungalow look. The Montage is newer so I would assume it has larger rooms, and also has these private cottages and since it is more private is more popular with the stars etc now. Both are in more residential areas so anything outside the hotel would require a car, looks like most people go shopping in Newport Beach or go to disneyland. The dining is better at the Montage, they have the Loft which is the best restaurant in Orange County, plus a really good outdoor place by the pool plus others, but I still like the Ritz better for sunset cocktails. summary, the Montage is the hottest place to stay now, but the Ritz will not go down without a fight.

usa
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ritz carlton or montage

Have stayed at the Montage and had a wonderful time. Basic rooms are not that large but the beds and bathrooms are luxurious. Most if not all have a water view. Dining and Lobby Bar beat the pants off the Ritz!

The Montage(which is closer to the downtown area of Laguna) is classic California Bungalow architecture and style. I preferred The Ritz before the remodel...now it just looks like a new modern paint job over the old and still existing woodwork.

Both have the same levels of service only The Ritz restaurant reservationist tried very hard to discourage a party of 8 for their high school prom dinner....still went and the wait staff was very nice.

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
227 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ritz carlton or montage

Can agree with the previous posts. Both hotels are top-level on service, but you'll get very different atmospheres.

Ritz: Over-looking a nice stretch of popular local's beach with surfing, a vast stretch of sand and a sloping hill of green grass. It's in a residential area with not much to walk to. The hotel is on a cliff, feels very sophisticated and classy, but perhaps not very relaxed.

Montage: On a cliff overlooking the ocean with dramatic views, the beach outside is great for sand activities and swimming. The area is a mix of residential and business, with many places you can walk to (including Ruby's for the kids - great burgers and shakes). If you are in Laguna before Labor Day, there is a free shuttle that'll take your right into town - otherwise you're 2 short miles from Main Beach's village. The hotel is more like a Hawaiian resort in it's style, more laid back but every bit as nice as the Ritz. The restaurants in the resort are some of the best in town --- can't recommend the Loft enough.

So it depends on the vibe you're looking for.

I prefer the Montage because it's more relaxed and centrally located. I'd do the Rtiz if it were just you and your spouse having a romantic weekend - but with kids, it just seems like the Montage is more family-friendly. So my vote is Montage.

(My fiance just walked by and said "Montage!" for what that's worth).

Can't go wrong either way. If you are in Dana Point, the kids would probably like the Ocean Institute in the harbor. When in Laguna Beach, don't miss the tide pools at Main Beach - hours of kid fun.

Best, LagunaGrrl

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ritz carlton or montage

My mistake it is the studio that is the best not the loft, the loft has nice views though

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ritz carlton or montage

We stayed at the Montage this past December, it was totally amazing. The service, views, pool, restaurants are all very, very nice. There is a nice beach in the back of the property also. They have a very nice spa/salon there also where I had a hair style. Enjoy your travels! :)

new york. ny
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ritz carlton or montage

VOW. Thanks so much for all your detailed explanation. This is a great forum and bunch of geat people who'd go out of their way to assist you. I have chosen Montage and thanks so much again.

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ritz carlton or montage

I also wanted to add that the Studio is excellent for a meal, we had our 25th wedding anniversary dinner there, breakfast at The Loft the next morning was also very good with stunning views from the outdoor deck there. I have some reviews with photos of the property and the restaurants. :)

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ritz carlton or montage

Montage wins hands down & the food there is much better, too. The spa is great. I do like the Ritz's new Eno bar, though for wine & cheese flights...

9. Re: ritz carlton or montage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, August 27, 2009