We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LI NY
Level Contributor
436 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

Hi,

Thinkg of coming to Laguna in September, as part of a trip to California how is the weather then, in Southern California?

Celebrating 50th birthday, so would like to stay somewhere on the water, is there such a place.

Have been to a wedding at the Ritz in Dana Point, but above my budget.

Two nights enough for Laguna?

Restaurant reccomendations would be great!

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

We had an amazing stay at the Montage Resort, we booked under the lagunabeach.com website. Check out this website, they offer discounts on all types of hotels in Laguna Beach.

For fine dining, The Studio at the Montage is very nice, we also enjoyed a nice breakfast at The Loft there, the more informal venue at the Montage. I have a review with photos of the restaurants and the hotel if you're interested. I hope you enjoy Laguna Beach as much as we did! :)

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

The weather is perfect in September and the crowds have started to get smaller at the beach. The best time to come to California is after Labor Day until Christmas.

The hotels tend to be a bit pricey along the coast with the Montage at the top of the heap.

Some other choices might be: The Inn at Laguna located in the downtown area and walkable to everything.

The Capri, which is an older property but well maintained.

The Surf and Sand which is a wonderful property but maybe getting close in price to the Ritz Carlton.

The Laguna Surf which is a timeshare property and located in the downtown area.

Some good restaurants would be: Splashes at the Surf And Sand,Sorrento Grille,5 Feet, TiAmo,Beach House. A good place for breakfat or lunch would be the new Beachcomber cafe located in the Crystal Cove Park between Laguna and Newport Beach. It's pretty special if you want a true California experience on the beach.

And anything at the Montage Resort is really special even if you just go there for a drink as suggested by Syrahgirl.

Enjoy!!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

I have stayed at the Surf and Sand and really like it. It is pricey but I did find a deal for the stay. I was in the towers section and was glad that I was because there is nothing in front of you except the ocean. The other section of the hotel has the pool in front of you and then ocean. I felt that was less private.

My husband has a message there(part of the package deal) and he said it was one of the best he had ever had. The Aquaterra was very nice inside too.

We ate at Splashes for dinner. It was very good and gets really busy and they have a wait. They do light up the beach at night to give you a "view" of the ocean. I believe they have just remodeled it recently.

Breakfast there was very, very good in the morning...and I think I almost enjoyed that better than dinner..and I am not a breakfast person.

I would second Ti Amo and Beachcomber too. Great Advice.

LI NY
Level Contributor
436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

Hi,

Where does one find a deal for the Sand & Surf? Still steep in September but looks great!

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
227 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

September will be a great time to be here because the crowds will have died down, but we still have excellent weather.

The other recommendations for hotels/motels are solid. The Capri might meet your 'beach front' needs at a good price, but there are other economy choices also (The Tides Inn being inexpensive and tidy, but not beach front).

Laguna can be done in two nights - longer is nice if you like dining and relaxing. There's not a lot to do except shop, relax and eat during the day. There's nightlife in the bars, restaurants and clubs - but it's actually pretty relaxed as well.

Restaurants in Laguna are numerous and for the most part very good. For the big splurge, it's the Studio at the Montage (where you can also just sit and have a drink and appetizer - lovely place). In town there's Five Feet, Sorrento Grille, Brussels Bistro, Partners, Javiers and so many more. Away from Main Beach is Rumari, Royal Thai, Eva's and Ti Amo. Hard to go wrong - just need to pick your cuisine.

Dana Point also has some nice restaurants (and hotels). The Ritz is lovely and will make for a nice wedding location. Harbor House restaurant in Dana Point is open 24 hours and has a 12-page menu of diner food - pretty reliable.

Hope you enjoy your time here. Laguna is a great town and off-season it can be like being a local.

LI NY
Level Contributor
436 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

Thanks!!

I'm looking to spend like $250.00 a night, and something on the beach. Been there once before for dinner, some restaurant that also had a small bakery in front.. Was very nice..

So glad there will be no crowds, I live on Long Island and the Hamptons are a "bear" in the summer!!! Too crowded, we love off season.

Midwest
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

Hi,

I think we're in the same boat ... traveling to Laguna Beach in Sept. in search of a great ocean front room at a decent price. Did you have any luck? Just started my search ...

Thanks!

8. Re: Laguna in Sept-Hotel on the water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, September 08, 2009