We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for locals

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
381 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Question for locals

Our family is coming out to Laguna Beach for a week in July. We are staying off Cliff Drive. We are trying to find good restaurants within close walking distance of this area. We would also like to know from the locals, if you could only pick ONE restaurant out of each category in Laguna, what would that place be. We are looking forward to the trip.

Fine Dining

Great Brunch, love eggs benedict

Great breakfast

Lunch

Local Hangout

Sushi

Fun place to take teenagers

Thanks for the help.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for locals

Fine Dining - Studio at the Montage $$$$

Great Brunch, love eggs benedict - Las Brisas (Weekends)

Great breakfast - The Cottage

Lunch - 230 Forest

Local Hangout - Sandpiper (just a local bar)

Sushi - Mosen

Fun place to take teenagers - can't help you there with the possible exception of BJ's (pizza - VERY good but usually crowded)

There are many great places to eat in Laguna Beach, too many to fit into one vacation. There are evne more if you include surrounding communities, Newport Beach, Irvine, Dana Point.

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for locals

Favorite brunch: Madison Square. Order your eggs benedict inside at the counter, and then find a place to sit in the garden behind. You won't want to leave.

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
381 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for locals

These are great suggestions. What about Italian Food. Is there someplace really good? We don't care if it fancy or a dive, just great food.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for locals

I have to agree with the previous poster except I don't like Las Brisas.

Mosun has excellent all you can eat Sushi Mondays for $19.95 ...and excellent Fillet Mignon.

http://www.mosunclubm.com/specialevents.html

Try a Pazookie at BJ's Pizzeria...a warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream on top. Yummy! Teenagers will Love this place.

Ti Amo is THE best Italian place in South Laguna

http://www.tiamolagunabeach.com/

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for locals

I have to agree with the previous poster except I don't like Las Brisas.

Mosun has excellent all you can eat Sushi Mondays for $19.95 ...and excellent Fillet Mignon.

http://www.mosunclubm.com/specialevents.html

Try a Pazookie at BJ's Pizzeria...a warm chocolate chip cookie with ice cream on top. Yummy! Teenagers will Love this place.

Ti Amo is THE best Italian place in South Laguna

http://www.tiamolagunabeach.com/

springfield, mo
Level Contributor
381 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for locals

Is Ti Amo a place we can take teenagers. They love Italian. We were also looking at Dizz's As Is for a night without our kids. Is it a good place to go? Has anyone done the champagne happy hour at French 75? That looked kind of fun.

usa
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for locals

There are a ton of restaurants to chose. breakfast or lunch....scandia bakery, madison or zinc(which is a real local hangout).

lunch/dinner....javier's, johnny rockets(both teen hang outs) white house, sorrento grill, beach house.

sorry previous posters...liked the service and my mexican meal at las brisas and the views are better than the beach house.

fav choice for fine dining is the studio at montage w/ a drink in the lobby bar first.

don't forget crystal cove on the way to newport...love the italian restaurant molto mio(sp)...blue fin and sage i hear are good. pacific whey is great for breakfast(long lines) as is the beachcomber(breakfast might be easier to get in) on the ocean...stop at the shake shack.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for locals

For Italian there are several. I agree with the prior poster that Ti Amo is a great place. Also very good are Romeo Cucina on Ocean Blvd. and Casa Rumari on PCH. Hard to go wrong with any of them. For something different try Eva's for Caribbean. Even has the feel of a little out of the way place in the Bahamas. Accross the PCH from Ti Amo.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for locals

All are great places recommended....you cant go wrong with any of them.

yes.! do Beachcomber and visit the Shake Shack on the way out.

http://www.thebeachcombercafe.com

Johnny Rockets is very teen freindly...great shakes too.

White house has good Eggs Benedict.

Laguna Beach, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for locals

I have to agree with most posts with the exception of Las Brisas. Beautiful view and setting but the food is really sub-par. With respect to Studio, that is THE best restaurant in Laguna but you need to have a reservation well in advance and be ready to spend at least $250 for a couple

To try to stay within the village, ie. walking distance from Cliff, I would recommend these restaurants (though there are so many good ones).

Fine Dining: 230 Forest (walking), Dizz's As Is (need to drive or take shuttle but fantastic)

Great Brunch: Madison Square

Great Breakfast: Cafe Zulu

Lunch: Javier's Cantina (for Mexican. Fantastic and VERY popular so be prepared to wait).

Local Hangout: Quite a few dependant on the crowd you are looking for: Hennesseys or Marine Room (across Ocean Ave from each other), Ocean Ave Brewery (on-site brewing up Ocean from others), Royal Hawaiian (under remodel but you HAVE to try a Lapu Lapu before you leave), Sandpiper aka Dirty Bird (definately the local dive bar with bands most nights)

Sushi: For near Cliff, I'd recommend Hapi Sushi on Beach across from Bank of America. There's also Laguna Sushi on Ocean near those bars.

Teenagers: Lots of the Laguna teens like Wahoos Fish Tacos or Ginas Pizza at Oak St/PCH. If you are looking for activities that the teens will like, then Sawdust Festival is the place. Sawdust is unique amongst the Laguna art fests in that the setting is very rustic and eclectic and if you feel comfortable turning them loose inside with some cash, they'll have a good time exploring. The multitude of different arts and crafts makes it VERY cool. Plus you can hang out in the upper patio with a glass of wine amongst the eucalyptus trees and listen to whomever they've got playing. Plenty of demos too from glass blowing to pottery to jewelry.

Laguna has a free shuttle system in summer. Once you've parked your car off-street (be very careful, the parking enforcement is vicious), you can pretty much get up/down Pacific Coast Highway from north to south end of town on the shuttle. It also runs out to the canyon for the art fests. Just grab a schedule and map from your hotel or downtown and you should be good to go.

Have a great time.