We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Key Beaches?

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Low Key Beaches?

Hi,

I am coming to visit San Diego for about a week for a wedding with my partner. I am from the midwest and like the slow pace of things, especially during a vacation. I am looking to do a day of hiking and then find a low key/chill beach or cove to relax, lounge, swim, and picnic. I am hoping to find a place that is more couples friendly, as opposed to families and lots of children. Any tips for places to be or check out would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,218 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Key Beaches?

Hi Kalie - I lot depends on when this trip will happen. There are beaches that are very busy in the summer but are more quiet and laid back other times of the year. I assume you'll have a car to get around to beaches.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Key Beaches?

Windansea section of La Jolla and Sunset Cliffs (past main beach at Ocean Beach) might achieve what you are looking for.....Windansea is more of a locals beach and you can continue walking north towards the main area of La Jolla until you find a place that is isolated and suits you just fine....Sunset Cliffs is a even more reclusive--though you won't be alone-- as you have to navigate and climb down some steep terrain before you get down to the beach area (as such, you will not find families with children at this beach). The setting is dramatic also--think along the lines of the ending of the original Planet of the Apes movie ocean/beachfront scene with nice beach, rock formations, and steep cliffs.

Edited: 8:07 pm, August 11, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Windansea Beach
Windansea Beach
489 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,057 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Key Beaches?

I might look at Del Mar like the Hotel Indigo or L'Auberge Del Mar for something romantic and for location, the Del Mar Motel on the Beach; the rooms have seen better days, but a killer location on the beach.

http://www.delmarmotelonthebeach.com/

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
L'Auberge Del Mar
L'Auberge Del Mar
1,084 Reviews
Del Mar, CA
Del Mar Motel on the Beach
Del Mar Motel on the...
216 Reviews
Del Mar, CA
Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Key Beaches?

I will be there in all of three days from now, counting down :) Thank you all.

Edited: 9:38 pm, August 11, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Key Beaches?

For a day of hiking and beach I suggest Torrey Pines Reserve. Park in the lower lot and walk up the road/hill to the trails. When you have finished exploring take the beach trail down. Than walk south on the beach to find a quiet spot just past the large sea rocks.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Key Beaches?

Where will you be hiking and what kinds of hikes are you looking for? The hikes along the coast are for the most part short hikes. For longer hikes, you have to head inland where it gets warmer or even hot.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Key Beaches?

agree with a hike at torry pines and the beach below. if it's not a weekend, black's beach usually is pretty quite and you can fine your own spot. not secluded but lots of space. great beach but it is clothing optional if that's an issue for you and is a bit of a hike up and down. close to torry pines.

8. Re: Low Key Beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 14, 2014