We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

Way too hot to stay in phoenix this weekend, so we are heading to la jolla. We love seeing the leopard sharks at la jolla shores- have they arrived yet?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,508 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

I haven't heard, but this is about the time they arrive usually so I am going to jump in with both feet and say sure, they are here :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

How long do they stay?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

No, they weren't there as of this past Sunday. They will probably arrive some time in mid to end July. I did see a couple of guitar fish, and there were plenty of sting rays. So don't jump in with both feet. Instead, do the stingray shuffle to warn them you are approaching. :)

Level Contributor
36,926 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

La Jolla is beautiful, have a wonderful time there! :)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

We were there last Friday, I didn't see anyone heading down to snorkel down where the sharks would be. Lots of snorkelling at La Jolla cove but most exciting thing I saw was garibaldi, along bass and maybe mackerel and opaleye (not the best at identifying) but there were more things further out in the kelp forest where I did not venture.

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

Hi, I'm in Washington state and will be heading down to la jolla and will be snorkeling next weekend(July 6)...anyway, I've been to the cove and snorkeled there and loved it, but did know anything about la jolla shores, are the shores snorkeling area near the cove, can I walk from one area to the next?

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

La Jolla Shores is the right angle of La Jolla Cove. The cove is more or less north facing and the shores west facing. We swim back and forth from the cove and shores all the time.

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

Oh ok, thanks...one more question...lets say I'm standing on the beach at the cove, right in front of the lifeguard shack, and I'm facing the water, I start to wade out into the water, I know to the Right is the rocks where the seals and sea lions hang out, so if I wanted to swim to the area where the leopard sharks may be, I'm guessing I would swim/snorkel to the left?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,814 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

If you are at the cove facing the water, the area with the leopard sharks is to your right, near La Jolla Shores.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leopard sharks at la jolla shores

Jeremy_S_1973 must be a pretty good swimmer, because from the Cove to LJ Shores is, to me at least, quite a bit of a haul. I'm not a strong swimmer, so I won't even attempt it. I do see people swimming either to the bouys that indicate certain distances (1/4 & 1/2 mile). It is farther still to the Shores. The largest congregation of leopard sharks are in the shallow waters right in front of the Marine Room, perhaps 4-10 yards off the LJ Shores beach.